Office 2008 invalid license key
    High all

I bought a refurbished macbook pro which is the mutts nuts and I am now a total convert.

When I purchased the mac it came with Microsoft office 2008 pre installed.
    After receiving an update it seems that Ive been rumbled as to having an invalid key, and now Ive been locked out of the Office applications. Entourage is holding several emails hostage and I cant get to em.

My brother had the same problem on his PC but managed to get some info online on how solve this via regkey and changing a 3 to a 0 blah blah blah! But I cant find anything for the mac version.

I would be be super grateful for any help that would enable me to solve this problem. But please break it down into idiotanease so I can understand it.

Cheers all

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Sorry, don't know how to help here.

But, to all those who read this and are looking at purchasing a used computer, don't pay a single penny for any application that does not come with the disc. As in this case, as soon as the person with the disc installs it on a new system, you can be left with a useless piece of software.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Mail will import Entourage mailboxes.

Unless you purchase an Office license of your own, you won't be able to use Office.

2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    To build on what has been said here, did you get the install discs that came with the Mac? If not, ask for them as you should have gotten them (not only for Office but for any software that is installed through the use of optical media).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    To the OP:

If you bought a refurbished MBP and it came with Office 2008 pre-installed, it was more than likely a trial version. You will need (as you have been advised) to purchase a license from MS which will convert the trial version to registered.

Or, perhaps less costly is to purchase the Home and Student version of Office 2008. NewEgg and Amazon have it discounted at around $104.00. It comes with three install keys.

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    As chscag advises, get Home and Student version of Office 2008. Make sure the trial/illegal version is removed using the uninstaller before using the new, legal version.

Thread Information