New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Before I get my new MBP.Take a look at the apps and tell me if its ok

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

I_LOVE_MY_MAC

I_LOVE_MY_MAC can only hope to improve

-Blackberry Manager
-Coconut Battery
-Handbrake
-Burn (maybe,heard its amazing to burn **** like dvd's)
-Peer guardian (but I saw that its not working properly with SL.Any other suggestions?)
-Vuze (tried Miro and did not like it)
-Smc Fan control
-Yasu (planning on running it once a month)
-iStat
-flip4mac
-Perian(but I just saw that its still not sl compatible.)

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

The only one that leaps out as being problematic is PeerGuardian. Be very careful of any apps that aren't Snow Leopard-compatible, they can really mess up your computer. Magnifique for instance:

Magnifique • Portal

Quote:
DO NOT use Magnifique on Snow Leopard

8/10/2009
WARNING: DO NOT use Magnifique on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. It's almost certain that it will mess up your system beyond repair.

We are planning a complete rewrite of Magnifique once Snow Leopard is released. Thanks for everyone's support.
As you can see, even a seemingly innocuous third party app can damage your Mac. It could be one reason your previous Mac crapped the bed. Here is a Snow Leopard compatibility list.

Snow Leopard Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Compatibility List
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Vuze has a lot of random bloat and is a memory hog. I would use something else. IE. Transmission.

Interesting...about Perian because I just downloaded and installed it. It works just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
I_LOVE_MY_MAC

Yea I ment to ask for a alternative to PG.Any recommendations? i wont be sing any torrents unless I get something.

perian says this"QuickTimeX requires filetype registration by NicePlayer or this app. AC3 audio problems, other small issues."

I need to download something for it?
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

If you feel unsure about Perian, go for VLC Player. Plays pretty much everything that Perian plugged into Quicktime does.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Don't download illegal torrents and you wont need PG.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
I_LOVE_MY_MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
If you feel unsure about Perian, go for VLC Player. Plays pretty much everything that Perian plugged into Quicktime does.
will do..Thanks mate
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Shortcut(s) to move cursor a word forward or backward? | apple light »