New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mouse movement not as sharp as windows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sam joyce

sam joyce is an unknown at this point

Loving my new mac from pc but I have to say the mouse movement is less accurate/responsive than my windows machines.I have changed the settings in preferences with speed etc but I feel as though Im moving the mouse and the curser is slightly delayed. I felt this in the mac store but couldnt be sure until I got it home. I tried the windows mouse on the mac but still the same, is there any other mac mice I can try or any other settings? Thanks Sam
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

If you've learned mousing on Windows, it will take some time to get used to the Mac's acceleration curve. The curve on the Mac is much sharper (it slows you down more at slow speeds for graphics work, and speeds up more at faster speeds for Apple's huge monitors.) The Windows curve is much more linear.

You'll get used to it in a month or so, or you can find alternative mouse drivers to flatten the curve to a more Windows-style feel.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Try this:

MouseZoom 2.2 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

It slows down as well if you need, or you can make it so fast you don't see it!

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I totally second what technologist said, It does take time to get used to it - it is also possible to increase mouse responsiveness with a mouse other then the Apple mouse (ie: a higher resolution mouse can be more responsive, the mightymouse is only like an 800dpi mouse) but it will still feel different then in Windows. I know every time I bootcamp into xp to play a few games, I have to compensate for the way the mouse feels in XP.

It's definitely different, but once you get used to it, it's not bad - just weird at first

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I wonder what I'm doing with my mouse and trackpad because I haven't noticed a difference. The default speed is really slow, and when I have to use the guest account for some reason, it's pretty infuriating. Once I speed up the tracking though, it really seems to fly.
QUOTE Thanks
sam joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Try this:

MouseZoom 2.2 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

It slows down as well if you need, or you can make it so fast you don't see it!
Thanks i have installed this but it is a finer adjustment of speed, the problem I have is I feel the curser is lagging behind the movement of the mouse, if I go to select a list item for example, as I quickly move the mouse down the page to click the item the curser isnt on the item and I have to move it that bit more than where I am expecting it to be, It wouldnt be so bad if I was using mac only as I would account for this as a new habit over time but I will be using my pc also and its a shame to feel the new mac is sluggish in this important area. if anyone knows of any update/driver/ap that might solve this I would be grateful, thanks for your help.
Sam
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

I have no idea what you're talking about... the mouse and cursor's movements are completely in sync...
QUOTE Thanks
sam joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about... the mouse and cursor's movements are completely in sync...
see previous threads
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

I found the 'Mighty mouse' totally impossible to work with - the lack of clear buttons on the surface of the mouse and the sensitivity of the side buttons meant that the cursor was all over the place. So I went back to my Logitech wireless mouse, which works perfectly. My advice - give up on Apple's input peripherals, they look pretty, but they are un-ergonomic and bad for you!
QUOTE Thanks
sam joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
I found the 'Mighty mouse' totally impossible to work with - the lack of clear buttons on the surface of the mouse and the sensitivity of the side buttons meant that the cursor was all over the place. So I went back to my Logitech wireless mouse, which works perfectly. My advice - give up on Apple's input peripherals, they look pretty, but they are un-ergonomic and bad for you!
Exactly, how can they miss and important detail like that! Its clumsy and doesnt fit yr hand in anyway. I still have the mouse action feeling like its delayed when I move the mouse, I wish I could fix it!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam joyce View Post
Exactly, how can they miss and important detail like that! Its clumsy and doesnt fit yr hand in anyway. I still have the mouse action feeling like its delayed when I move the mouse, I wish I could fix it!
Did you try Mouse Zoom like I suggested?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
sam joyce

I am impressed with my new mac apart from the mouse action ,however this is a giant downfall for me. I never suspected for one minute when I got a mac I would have a problem with the mouse action, I am a graphic designer and my work is mouse heavy when I first started using my imac I felt the mouse was sluggish compared to windows and despite tweaking the mac settings could not get rid of the sense the mouse wasnt following my movements precisely. I soon found that my mac uses a different tracking curve so continued to use it hoping I would get used to it. Its been three weeks now and I am getting pains in my wrist and am worried my career in design will end prematurely due to severe wrist pain in the long run, I desperately went online to find a solution to find lots of others are having problems and screaming for a solution from apple just take a look at the desperate threads here An OS X Mouse Tracking Fix Has Arrived! — Plastic Bugs.
Otherwise great but this issue is hugely disapointing to say the least!
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

I don't think that Apple listens to its users at all - there have been numerous complaints about the mouse in various forums for some time and, as far as I can see, no response from Apple. I ditched both the mouse and the keyboard after a day of use and I wrote to Ives the design director and didn't even get a 'Thank you for your letter' response. Ives and his team are very good at designing pretty objects but appear to have no concept of usability behind the design. The latest cock-up is the new iPod nano which has the camera right where your fingers hold the device, leading to pictures of fingers, rather than pictures of the scene. Physical design - beautiful, usability design - rubbish.

PS to the last - I'm using a Msoft ergonomic keyboard and a Logitech wireless mouse - both properly designed for human hands and fingers!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

The searc feature turned up this :
Official Mouse Thread!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

The funny thing is the Apple mouse has behaved pretty much the same since 1983 or so and to be honest, it's simply a matter of getting used to how the mouse movements differ. This is actually true of all OS's I've used (they all deal with pointers differently), but the whole thing is covered in the above link.. along with multiple solutions.

I guess what I was attempting to say up there was this... the complaints would be substantially more if Apple suddenly duplicated Microsofts mouse handling.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« copy link to email | can I upgrade straight from Panther to Tiger? »