Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tried mouse zoom but that only speeds it up not making selection more accurate, also tried usboverdrive and steermouse, Ive just done a stretch of 5 hours on this machine and my hand is aching what a nightmare!

Specs:
    Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
    haha i swear i just wrote about this issue in another post like 5 mins ago.

Quote Originally Posted by technologist View Post
    You'll get used to it in a month or so, or you can find alternative mouse drivers to flatten the curve to a more Windows-style feel.
    ...I never did...

Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    the complaints would be substantially more if Apple suddenly duplicated Microsofts mouse handling.
    So why can't apple give the user a choice between the two? all it would take is a simple radio button to switch between the two curves. I mean it seems like apple's entire marketing campaign is aimed at getting people to switch from pcs so they cant just ignore the fact that MANY mac users have been using pcs and gotten used to that mouse behaviour.

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Quote Originally Posted by musicvortex View Post
    haha i swear i just wrote about this issue in another post like 5 mins ago.

...I never did...

So why can't apple give the user a choice between the two? all it would take is a simple radio button to switch between the two curves. I mean it seems like apple's entire marketing campaign is aimed at getting people to switch from pcs so they cant just ignore the fact that MANY mac users have been using pcs and gotten used to that mouse behaviour.
    Yea, but they're not trying to make their OS like Microsoft's. In case you didn't notice, a large part of their advertising in getting people to switch is, "come to the light! This OS doesn't suck like the one you're used to!"

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
    Yea, but they're not trying to make their OS like Microsoft's. In case you didn't notice, a large part of their advertising in getting people to switch is, "come to the light! This OS doesn't suck like the one you're used to!"

Originally Posted by technologist
    You'll get used to it in a month or so, or you can find alternative mouse drivers to flatten the curve to a more Windows-style feel.

For some reason I never had the OP's issue. Just when I got the Plus back in 1992 with System 6, the only thing I had to get used to was the Acceleration curve being different.

Back then I don't remember any of the accelerators like for OSX. I turned it up all the way in the Mouse control panel and after a week or so I never even noticed. In fact Windows the way I had it set up seemed too fast and harder to not overshoot the mark!

I do not use any of the 3rd party mouse accelerators in OSX. Tried some and it felt almost too fast. I just use the native OSX mouse properties in System Preferences and it's fine. On one of my Macs with a Logitech I have the Logitech panel installed and did some custom tweaking on that mouse as it seems a bit too slow, but all my other mice were just right.

I keep reading how the mouse under OSX is laggy and you can't point right at a clicker and it's always so hard to point and click on a button, but I really have never had that issue.

Is there any brand of mouse that offers extra features in their software that might allow settings to overcome this?

Apple must think they always know better than their customers. The arrogance of not making this a configuration setting is unbelievable. The mouse tracking causes my hand to ache. Aside from the horrible tracking, the x/y directions are significantly different. I had hoped magic mouse would fix this horrible problem but it does not. Don't waste your money.

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    I still have no idea what the crap you guys are talking about... my the "acceleration curve" doesn't exist, at least not on a trackpad as far as I can tell. On the mouse side of things, my logitech mouse always served me well with my G5, my dad's mini, and my fiancee's eMac.

Hard to click on a button? Wha?

Anyway, Apple has always listened to their customer. Their loyal customers have been using these products for a lot longer than most current users and have been with OS X since the early part of the decade. We are used to the mouse because it's all we've ever known. To change it would be betrayal to people who had become accustomed to it. You will either become accustomed to the differences or you will use some third party software to make your computer run more like you're familiar to, i.e. Windoze.

And Doug... what are you talking about. You sign up, post once, and all it is is a complaint saying that the X,Y directions are "significantly different" on Mac OS... I'm not sure what you're trying to say, because X,Y are the same. If you're holding your mouse pointed in the same direction (not changing the angle of your hand) then X,Y are a set location that cannot be changed.

You are all insane.

Specs:
    iMac, and Macbook Pro
    Interesting thread. I just wanted to say that as a switcher myself, I never noticed the difference in the acceleration curve between the PC and Mac mouse. I use the Mighty Mouse all the time. I really like the feel of it in my hand, and I like the way it works. And, I've had lots of experience with Logitech and other brands. So, I'm thinking this whole issue is largely subjective. I don't doubt what you guys are saying, I just wanted to add a balancing post in defense of the Mac mouse.

Specs:
    MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
    I use a Bluetooth might mouse back from when the G4 ibook was largely popular and I still use it to this day the same one everyday on my macbook pro . Fits nice and comfy in my hand, battery life is a few months and i've never had any issues at all with it. Not sure about why people don't like it. it tracks just fine!
    Show some Love give Reputation Reputation FAQ

Thread Information