New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How could my Mac connect to a wireless network when no PC could?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

abhamian

abhamian is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air

Not sure if this is the right place for this discussion, but here goes:

At work yesterday our wireless internet network went down. Neither our company desktop nor any of the PC laptops could connect to the wireless network, yet my Mac still could.

I checked to make sure that it was the company's wireless that I was connecting to instead of another network, and it definitely was.

Any thoughts on how this was possible? When I was on support with AT&T to get the internet back up for all of the other computers the person I spoke with had never heard of such a thing.

Just curious.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Could be that your wireless didn't go down per se, but the closer-to-you access point might have gone down/got wonky and needed a reboot. There were other access points that weren't messed up that were far enough away that the PC's couldn't get a signal, but your Macbook could. I don't know if this is the case as much with my new Macbook Pro, but my old white Macbook could tenaciously pick up wireless signal when no PC could. I was at a hotel once where in the conference room I was able to get on the hotel's network in that room, but everyone with a Dell or even Powerbooks had to take them out to the lobby to check email.

Best theory I could come up with. The company I used to work for had multiple access points like this, unlike a home wireless in which there is one access point and it's also the router. My home has this setup and if the router gets weirded out, everyone is off the net, but at work it was the access point and separate routers.
QUOTE Thanks
Nikonshooter

Nikonshooter is on a distinguished road

I would have just answered: Because MACS are brilliant!

27' iMac i5 2.7 10.7.1  1TB HD  16GB DDR3 - AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB - Magic Trackpad * White iPhone 4s 16GB  iPad 2 64GB  iPod Nano 1st Generation  iPod Nano 6th Generation  iPod Touch 1st Generation  MacBook Unibody 1st Generation 
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

You should have said...Macs Rock!... and the fun is yet to come (windows 7 new slogon) Ya..right!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Changing computer name | Wanted to share a fantastic story of success! »