New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

deleting back time machine backups

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rdsii64

rdsii64 is on a distinguished road

I am not sure where to post this. Since I have only been using a mac for about a month I figured the switcher hangout would be as good a place as any. I use a external hard drive for my tme machine backups and its getting pretty full. I got dialog box( sorry for the windows lingo) that said that the space available wasn't big enough the next back up. How do I tell time machine to delete the really old back ups so there will always be room on the drive.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Good question, and one I'd like to know as well. I really don't need to roll back my system several months. A few weeks of padding would be fine by me. There has to be some freeware out there for this.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
I_LOVE_MY_MAC

I_LOVE_MY_MAC can only hope to improve

Time Machine is set to delete old backups automatically if it cant fit the new one in.What I did was actually go back and delete most.I kept the last 2-3 backups since I have my EXHd partioned.But TM will do it if its set to auto
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I'd just like a utility that says "Delete backups older than x weeks/days". Something automated like that would be nice.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
I_LOVE_MY_MAC

I_LOVE_MY_MAC can only hope to improve

It has the option
"delete when full"..I think thats fine.Once its full it deletes the older first...Cant get to complicated lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 9+ seconds to go into idle? up to ONE minute to shut off!? wtf sl | Can't get MacBook to boot from a cd »