Thread: Safe Temp?

Safe Temp?
    Today I installed a program that monitors cpu speeds, temp etc. I notice my Battery is 86, Heat sink A is " - " Heat sink B is 118 northbridge is 108 enclosure 1-4 are between 88 and 90.

What has me concerned is my overall CPU temp ranges between 125-140 when doing normal browsing without the power cord plugged in. (All degrees are in Fahrenheit) Are these temperatures normal? If so what temperature would be considered to hot?

Running a MacBook Pro 13.3"
    Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor 2.26GHz; 2GB DDR3 SDRAM

Less than a week old.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MKoop View Post
    Today I installed a program that monitors cpu speeds, temp etc. I notice my Battery is 86, Heat sink A is " - " Heat sink B is 118 northbridge is 108 enclosure 1-4 are between 88 and 90.

What has me concerned is my overall CPU temp ranges between 125-140 when doing normal browsing without the power cord plugged in. (All degrees are in Fahrenheit) Are these temperatures normal? If so what temperature would be considered to hot?

Running a MacBook Pro 13.3"
    Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor 2.26GHz; 2GB DDR3 SDRAM

Less than a week old.
    Those temps actually aren't that bad. I've seen folks with temps much higher.

Think about it...if your battery temp is 86F....if you're in a room that's 80F...that's only 6 degrees warmer than the room!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Those temps actually aren't that bad. I've seen folks with temps much higher.

Think about it...if your battery temp is 86F....if you're in a room that's 80F...that's only 6 degrees warmer than the room!

- Nick
    Very true, suppose it was the overall temp near 130 that concerned me.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MKoop View Post
    Very true, suppose it was the overall temp near 130 that concerned me.
    I've seen people with temps in the 180F range. The warmest temp. on my MBP at the moment is 134.6F.

If you want to have some fun...start watching some You-Tube videos...and watch your temps REALLY shoot up!...and your fans kick into high gear!!!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    MacBook
    If your computer hasn't shut down automatically as a failsafe (which it will, if need be), then you are operating at a safe temperature.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I'm usually around 60C (140F) if I'm not doing anything intensive or watching Flash videos (which are CPU intensive I suppose). I've seen it get to 80C (176F) only momentarily when doing something major like encoding video but after hitting that peak, it will only drop to about 76/77 (169/171) until done.

If you machine is properly ventilated (ie. you're not using it on a soft surface such as a blanket or a couch), you should be fine. If you want, you can consult the operating temperatures here.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    My MBP is usually around the 45 - 65 degrees Celsius, but when I'm compressing many video files, it can get up to 95, even 98, which seems really high to me. The fans do kick on, I'm on a cooling pad with the fan on. Does this seem incredibly high to anyone?

The program you installed is a good example of too much information. I'm confident that Apple engineers worked very hard to make sure your computer runs at appropriate temperatures and that under no circumstances would it run hot enough to damage itself.

Now, go back and enjoy your Mac.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by mbohn View Post
    The program you installed is a good example of too much information. ...
    Not only too much information, but very likely too much incorrect or wrong information... assuming that the program you installed was iStat Pro.

There's no need to install these types of things. More often than not they are not accurate and they only serve to make many users ultra-paranoid about their machine temps/speeds/performance.

Just enjoy your computer without it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    What about smcFanControl? Are there many inaccuracies with that? It is usually in agreement with iStat, which I don't really pay attention to, I just have both to have a second opinion.

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
    My MBP is usually around the 45 - 65 degrees Celsius, but when I'm compressing many video files, it can get up to 95, even 98, which seems really high to me. The fans do kick on, I'm on a cooling pad with the fan on. Does this seem incredibly high to anyone?
    NINETY FIVE C?!?!?! I feel WAY better about my computer occasionally breaking the 80ºC barrier now. Usually, when it breaks 70C i'm like, "wtf" and try to get some more ventilation for it.

Specs:
    From what I understand, the computer will shut down at the 100° mark. I hope that's right! Right now, surfing with a lot of apps open and an external display going, it's at 50°C. It only shoots way up when I have to export a long video into 4 different formats in Compressor.

Thread Information