I was wondering what I can do weekly to keep my mac A-OK?

I jsut found out Onyx actually did not work on SL and deleted that!.So how do I keep mac working fine? I know Im coming from a PC so its prob just me stressing over it...Im talking bout something that makes sure the whole computer is fine,erases cache and all the internet files I dont need ect.

Thanks

Im seeing alot of programs on the apple website,They all look awesome but they are only trials.I dont wanna spend 15 bucks on em =-/.

snow leopard cache cleaner looks cool,running it right now...Right now its repairing permission.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC View Post
    Im seeing alot of programs on the apple website,They all look awesome but they are only trials.I dont wanna spend 15 bucks on em =-/.

snow leopard cache cleaner looks cool,running it right now...Right now its repairing permission.
    I would say "hang loose" for the moment. I'm guessing that an update will be coming out for Onyx (hopefully soon) to make it compatible with SL.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    As I replied to you in your other post, there's Main Menu and YASU. Take your choice.

It may be awhile before Titanium Software updates OnyX for Snow Leopard.

Regards.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    As I replied to you in your other post, there's Main Menu and YASU. Take your choice.

It may be awhile before Titanium Software updates OnyX for Snow Leopard.

Regards.
    And you don't need to do anything weekly. Once every few months or so should be sufficient. Honestly, just running the Cron scripts should be enough to keep your Mac running like new.

Running Mac OS X Maintenance Scripts
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    I don't think there's anything you must do weekly. If you leave your Mac on, it does day to day maintenance (like defragging) at night when you're not using it (or whenever you tell it to). There's no registry to clean out either. Just periodically verify your disk, maybe trash some Preferences, stuff like that, delete or move some files, etc.

Its hard letting go of the dam PC habits. I just want to make sure my computer is running tip top.I am coming into an issue,I dont know if its FireFox but Im getting that beachball of death alot.My computer just stays there loading and loading.

Gr!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
    I don't think there's anything you must do weekly. If you leave your Mac on, it does day to day maintenance (like defragging) at night when you're not using it (or whenever you tell it to). There's no registry to clean out either. Just periodically verify your disk, maybe trash some Preferences, stuff like that, delete or move some files, etc.
    I still dont understand Verify disc.I read what it does but I cant comprehend it.And how do I set my mac to defrag?

Specs:
    Windows doesn't even require weekly maintenance. Now if you were running at 80%+ of you disk capacity, that's a different story - and the same goes for OS X.

As far as Firefox goes, try disabling any recently installed add-ons and see if the problem persists.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Nop,recent add-on's dont cause it.Its kinda always been buggy on my system.Bummer

Specs:
    I still dont understand Verify disc.I read what it does but I cant comprehend it.And how do I set my mac to defrag?
    Verify/Repair disk simply corrects filesystem errors. These shouldn't occur unless you hard power off your machine. Defragging isn't necessary unless you're running close to the capacity of your HDD.

About disk optimization with Mac OS X

Thanks,I download YASU,but reading some articles online it says I should not be deleting cache weekly and whatnot.So on the YASU menu what should I know what is safe to be checking and what not to.

Thanks again.

Specs:
    Thanks,I download YASU,but reading some articles online it says I should not be deleting cache weekly and whatnot.So on the YASU menu what should I know what is safe to be checking and what not to.

Thanks again.
    That's right, as I said before, you really don't need to be doing maintenance that frequently. The machine will take care of itself for the most part, unless you're running your HDD near capacity. Otherwise, run the maintenance scripts quarterly and you'll be fine.

This isn't Windows, you need to get rid of these habits. This is one of the benefits of owning a Mac, sit back and relax and enjoy actually using your computer. If you've been running maintenance this often, you're probably the progenitor of your own issues.

Thread Information