New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do you maintain?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

I_LOVE_MY_MAC

I_LOVE_MY_MAC can only hope to improve

I was wondering what I can do weekly to keep my mac A-OK?

I jsut found out Onyx actually did not work on SL and deleted that!.So how do I keep mac working fine? I know Im coming from a PC so its prob just me stressing over it...Im talking bout something that makes sure the whole computer is fine,erases cache and all the internet files I dont need ect.

Thanks

Im seeing alot of programs on the apple website,They all look awesome but they are only trials.I dont wanna spend 15 bucks on em =-/.

snow leopard cache cleaner looks cool,running it right now...Right now its repairing permission.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC View Post
Im seeing alot of programs on the apple website,They all look awesome but they are only trials.I dont wanna spend 15 bucks on em =-/.

snow leopard cache cleaner looks cool,running it right now...Right now its repairing permission.
I would say "hang loose" for the moment. I'm guessing that an update will be coming out for Onyx (hopefully soon) to make it compatible with SL.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As I replied to you in your other post, there's Main Menu and YASU. Take your choice.

It may be awhile before Titanium Software updates OnyX for Snow Leopard.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
As I replied to you in your other post, there's Main Menu and YASU. Take your choice.

It may be awhile before Titanium Software updates OnyX for Snow Leopard.

Regards.
And you don't need to do anything weekly. Once every few months or so should be sufficient. Honestly, just running the Cron scripts should be enough to keep your Mac running like new.

Running Mac OS X Maintenance Scripts

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I don't think there's anything you must do weekly. If you leave your Mac on, it does day to day maintenance (like defragging) at night when you're not using it (or whenever you tell it to). There's no registry to clean out either. Just periodically verify your disk, maybe trash some Preferences, stuff like that, delete or move some files, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
I_LOVE_MY_MAC

Its hard letting go of the dam PC habits. I just want to make sure my computer is running tip top.I am coming into an issue,I dont know if its FireFox but Im getting that beachball of death alot.My computer just stays there loading and loading.

Gr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
I don't think there's anything you must do weekly. If you leave your Mac on, it does day to day maintenance (like defragging) at night when you're not using it (or whenever you tell it to). There's no registry to clean out either. Just periodically verify your disk, maybe trash some Preferences, stuff like that, delete or move some files, etc.
I still dont understand Verify disc.I read what it does but I cant comprehend it.And how do I set my mac to defrag?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Windows doesn't even require weekly maintenance. Now if you were running at 80%+ of you disk capacity, that's a different story - and the same goes for OS X.

As far as Firefox goes, try disabling any recently installed add-ons and see if the problem persists.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
I_LOVE_MY_MAC

Nop,recent add-on's dont cause it.Its kinda always been buggy on my system.Bummer
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I still dont understand Verify disc.I read what it does but I cant comprehend it.And how do I set my mac to defrag?
Verify/Repair disk simply corrects filesystem errors. These shouldn't occur unless you hard power off your machine. Defragging isn't necessary unless you're running close to the capacity of your HDD.

About disk optimization with Mac OS X

QUOTE Thanks
I_LOVE_MY_MAC

Thanks,I download YASU,but reading some articles online it says I should not be deleting cache weekly and whatnot.So on the YASU menu what should I know what is safe to be checking and what not to.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Thanks,I download YASU,but reading some articles online it says I should not be deleting cache weekly and whatnot.So on the YASU menu what should I know what is safe to be checking and what not to.

Thanks again.
That's right, as I said before, you really don't need to be doing maintenance that frequently. The machine will take care of itself for the most part, unless you're running your HDD near capacity. Otherwise, run the maintenance scripts quarterly and you'll be fine.

This isn't Windows, you need to get rid of these habits. This is one of the benefits of owning a Mac, sit back and relax and enjoy actually using your computer. If you've been running maintenance this often, you're probably the progenitor of your own issues.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't get MacBook to boot from a cd | MBP just arrived »