New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac - Mac Virgin

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bigdavecox90

bigdavecox90 is on a distinguished road

I am currently a Mac virgin, however am currently and have been looking into it for a while.

Is there anything I should know before venturing into the world of Apple?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Some insights here to making the change.
QUOTE Thanks
bigdavecox90

bigdavecox90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
Some insights here to making the change.
Thanks mate, will have a look.
QUOTE Thanks
manymanymacs

manymanymacs is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001

Just take it easy with graphics intensive or memory intensive programs at first. Also, avoid downloading every neat gimmick you can find online.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Dont make fun of people still useing old Macs as we found them first and fought the battle with big PC. Enjoy your Mac and good luck to ya. Welcome aboard.
QUOTE Thanks
takeitngo

takeitngo will become famous soon enough

If you're ready to learn a new OS you'll love it, just be open minded, and remember, it's nothing like Windows so it might take a week or so to get used to it.
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

I agree this is a wonderful OS, it might seem a little harder than windows because many of the things are simple and we just tend to over think things to often. But one of your greatest resources will be this forum, and anyone else you know that owns a mac. Also a thing that is great is that we now have the ability to run both Mac OS X and windows on the same machine.
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Couple of things. 1. Hardware - if you have a good keyboard and good wireless mouse, hang on to them and use them with the Mac - the Apple products are, to say the least, pretty bad. 2. Software - check out the programs you use most frequently to find out a) whether a Mac version is available and, if not, b) whether a viable alternative exists. For example, I've failed to find an html editor that matches Homesite - and I've tried them all - and replacing things like Photoshop with the Mac versions can get expensive. So I use VMFusion and have a virtual Windows machine on the iMac. Since discovered there's a free alternative, VirtualBox.

In general, though, go ahead - you'll enjoy the difference and the almost total lack of those kind of notices that say, 'Sorry we have close now, would you like to send a report to Msoft'
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
1. Hardware - if you have a good keyboard and good wireless mouse, hang on to them and use them with the Mac - the Apple products are, to say the least, pretty bad.
Not really its just that their mighty mouse is bad, I say that because the scrolling ball always get mucked up no matter how much I clean it.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Weird, I hear people complain about Apple peripherals, but I have had no problems with my wireless MM and keyboard at all, at least not any that you wouldn't have with any other kind of Bluetooth hardware.

The MM is an unusual mouse, so you'll either love it or hate it I suppose. Because the scroll ball moves in all directions, not just up and down like a scroll wheel does, it does tend to pick up more dirt, but just rub it upside down on a cleaning cloth with maybe a fine mist of cleaning solution on it and it should work fine again.
QUOTE Thanks
AnthonyM1987

AnthonyM1987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6, 1TB Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdavecox90 View Post
I am currently a Mac virgin, however am currently and have been looking into it for a while.

Is there anything I should know before venturing into the world of Apple?
I'll be gentle..

Also you should know.. *thinks.* I have never looked back. Really I effing love my iMac
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
Couple of things. 1. Hardware - if you have a good keyboard and good wireless mouse, hang on to them and use them with the Mac - the Apple products are, to say the least, pretty bad. 2. Software - check out the programs you use most frequently to find out a) whether a Mac version is available and, if not, b) whether a viable alternative exists. For example, I've failed to find an html editor that matches Homesite - and I've tried them all - and replacing things like Photoshop with the Mac versions can get expensive. So I use VMFusion and have a virtual Windows machine on the iMac. Since discovered there's a free alternative, VirtualBox.

In general, though, go ahead - you'll enjoy the difference and the almost total lack of those kind of notices that say, 'Sorry we have close now, would you like to send a report to Msoft'
Thats not true. I love the apple keyboards and have always been a big fan. Especially the original iMac G3 keyboards. They were sweet. I love the chicklet keyboards that they have now too. I mean, I'm using my MacBook (unibody) and it has its keyboard built in, obviously, but I love it.

As for the mighty mouse... good idea... kind of... not a great mouse. I actually have difficulty using a mouse now that I've had this multi-touch trackpad for so long now, but I made sure that my fiancee has my old logitech mouse to use with her eMac. That was a must.
QUOTE Thanks
InfernoSTi

InfernoSTi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Hz 4GB RAM

Kind of mentioned earlier, but be ready to LEARN for a while. It isn't just that it is better/worse. It is that there are a million little things that are different. The more you learn, the faster you will learn and the more you start to just figure it out on your own, just like with anything. The first three months can be a lot more work, the next three less so, and after that, it is just great!
QUOTE Thanks
Ted Kramer

Ted Kramer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Quicksilver- 1.4GHz sonnet upgrade, 1GB ram, 120GB HDD, Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb video card

Itll be the best move youve ever made

Is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus or a really hip opotamus?
-----------------------
Quicksilver- 1.4GHz sonnet upgrade, 1GB ram, 120GB HDD, Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb video card
G3 iMac- 350MHz, 512MB ram, 10GB HDD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« View pictures as thumbnails | My applecare won't register! »