Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Macbook pro 17" 2.3 GHZ, 3 GB ram + 2 other MBP:s
    New to mac, which Ram to buy
    Hi!
    I got my macbook pro yesterday (the old version, not unibody) and I wanna upgrade my ram and I am not sure of which ram to buy. I know that i want 200 pin 667 mhz sodimm ram but can I buy any ram that meet these specs or do I need special apple ram?

Is it safe to install more ram on your own?

Any help appreciated!

/John

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    I would recommend going to Crucial.com and using their memory advisor. I have bought several RAM upgrades over the years from Crucial and they have always done well.

BTW, if you check the manual for your new MBP, it will tell you the details of the memory you need. You can use this to double check what the crucial memory advisor recommends.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
    Yea the main two sites I see advertised here is crucial (and I think thats because they have that scam that detects your exact memory you need) and also OWC because of the great prices they have.

Specs:
    Okey so thats great thanx!
    But just to be sure, can other memory be used or is this specific mac memory?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Antracith View Post
    It's not really "Mac specific" memory...just make sure the memory you do get is compatible with a Mac.

If you do buy memory from some place else other than recommended above...make sure you can return it if it doesn't work!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    MacBook
    There is no such thing as "specific Mac" memory.

So long as you get the spec you need, it should work.

Now, there are such things as bad sticks of RAM, so make sure that you can return the RAM if it doesn't work.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
    Another vote for macsales.com here...

Disclaimer: No affiliation, other than being a happy customer several times over.

Specs:
    13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
    in my experience, newegg.com has almost always been the cheapest place to buy computer hardware. They ship very quickly and have been great for many in the tech world.
    11.6" MacBook Air Ultimate
    PS3 Slim, Xbox 360 S, 40" Sony LCD

Specs:
    Thing is, I can find ram that fits the specs for less than 50% of the price at the places mentioned, here in Sweden. Thanx for all the info!

Specs:
    Thing is, I can find ram that fits the specs for less than 50% of the price at the places mentioned, here in Sweden. Thanx for all the info!
    That's EXACTLY what I was referring to in my post above! We can find less expensive ram here in the United States as well...except that when you install it into your computer it doesn't work!!!

Go ahead & purchase the 50% less expensive ram...maybe it will work, maybe it won't.

- Nick

Specs:
    Yea I got that, but when the RAM is of the brand Crucial with the same specs (the exact same RAM) for 50% of the price, then I think I can be sure it will work...

Oh another question, is the mac reversibly compatible (or whatever you call it)? What I mean is, would it be able to handle 800 mhz ddr2 ram down clocked to 667 mhz? I guess no but it is interesting to discuss..

Specs:
    Yea I got that, but when the RAM is of the brand Crucial with the same specs (the exact same RAM) for 50% of the price, then I think I can be sure it will work...
    As far as the ram speed...it's probably best to just get what your computer needs (667 or 800). I have seen instances where folks have used 800mhz in a computer that needed 667mhz...and it worked fine...but no guarantees.

So stop talking...and start buying! Let us know if it works & how much you paid.

- Nick

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    The companies mentioned are there because they have good reputations, and good return policies. Even if memory has the correct specifications, it may have errors that only become evident once it is tested thoroughly. Sometimes, they only become evident once the memory is actually installed in a computer and used for a few days.

When you buy from a reputable company, you're paying for the reputation, which is mostly the return/replacement/refund policy.

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    I got my memory from OWC for less than 53 shipped! Very happy here!

Thread Information