New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

external hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

whoriental

I work at compUSA and the tech shop decided to get rid of excess parts. They were selling a 40gig notebook hard drive for 50 bucks and i figured i could buy that and a enclosure and it would make a external hard drive. What would be the best way to utilize this? Should I stick all of my mp3's on it? Should I stick the OSX on it and run it from there. I am just trying to look for some better performance.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

you can do both, but i doubt it will increase performance. even if the disk has higher rpm-s then you internal harddisk. firewire/usb will still limit the performane.
QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

mmoy is an unknown at this point

In general, default notebook drives run at 4200. You can get 5400 drives as the default on some better notebooks. Some even have the 7200 RPM option but all of these drives tend to be slower than fairly cheap desktop drives.

I've seen throughput on a 5400 RPM notebook drive with 8 MB cach in the 430 MB/Sec range with USB 2.0 when I was ghosting an image from one drive to another.

I have a few extra notebook drives at 30 and 40 GB and one I use as a build disk for a laptop. Cuts down on the internal heat in the laptop and performance of desktop apps is much better when you're not chewing up the internal drive.

External drives could be used to store things on like
MP3s or images but you have to remember to go looking for them in another place.

They can be useful for backup drives too for email, mp3s, images, etc. Or for moving stuff from one computer to another.
QUOTE Thanks
brendan67

brendan67 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2 4gbram iPhone5

External drives are good to store things on like
MP3s or Images, i have'nt did anything else with mine.

I basically treat it as a dumping ground for keeping stuff
off the main HD

regards

macbook pro 2gb
iphone5
ipad 16gb
QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

If I had an external drive Id back up my HD.
Just a thought.....
QUOTE Thanks
Big Mike

Big Mike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G

I have a Seagate 300 GB external drive. It works great with both my PC and my Powerbook. I use it for video projects and big files that I need to transfer between college and home that are too big for my 1GB Jumpdrive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Konfabulator widgets | Free Image Batch Renamer »