Thread: Mac Warranty

Mac Warranty
    I bought a new macbook pro at bestbuy and purchased their 3 year black tie / accidental warranty for $350 extra. I'm curious if the majority believe this is a good idea or if apple's warranty is good enough? I have 14 days to cancel it if I decide I don't want it.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MKoop View Post
    I bought a new macbook pro at bestbuy and purchased their 3 year black tie / accidental warranty for $350 extra. I'm curious if the majority believe this is a good idea or if apple's warranty is good enough? I have 14 days to cancel it if I decide I don't want it.
    The accidental damage part of the Best Buy warranty is better (of course you pay $350 for it)...but another member on this forum said that you only get one "accident" covered...then you have to repurchase the Best Buy warranty.

Personally I wouldn't purchase the Best Buy warranty...but this is certainly a personal choice.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    The accidental damage part of the Best Buy warranty is better (of course you pay $350 for it)...but another member on this forum said that you only get one "accident" covered...then you have to repurchase the Best Buy warranty.

Personally I wouldn't purchase the Best Buy warranty...but this is certainly a personal choice.

- Nick
    I think that would depend on your life and how prone you are to an accident. I have 2 year old twin boys. Personally I require the accidental coverage. Crap happens.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic9t9 View Post
    I think that would depend on your life and how prone you are to an accident. I have 2 year old twin boys. Personally I require the accidental coverage. Crap happens.
    Didn't I say that it's a personal choice!

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    I think this would probably be more useful for notebooks. The Best Buy plan I got also covers theft. Since notebooks are probably more prone to theft and accidental damage, I think the extra $350 is a good crap shoot. It certainly beats being out $1500.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
    I think this would probably be more useful for notebooks. The Best Buy plan I got also covers theft. Since notebooks are probably more prone to theft and accidental damage, I think the extra $350 is a good crap shoot. It certainly beats being out $1500.
    I think that the Best Buy plan really only makes sense for laptops...both from the accident & theft perspectives. Statistically relative to laptops...very little should happen to a desktop computer like an iMac that is just "sitting" there.

Of course there are situations where even a desktop can be accidentally damaged...but then nothing in life is risk free!!!

Just think how much money Best Buy is making selling $350 warranty's to people who don't need them...and who will never use them!

- Nick

Thanks for the responses-
    I asked best buy about the "1 accident" thing. You can have unlimited accidents in that 3 years, you spill coffee, drop it whatever its covered. UNLESS you shatter it into 5 pieces or break it beyond repair. If it is broken beyond repair it will be replaced and the warranty will no longer be valid (since it is now a completely different machine) but a new one can be purchased at that point. Seems to me, the extra $100 for "accidental" increase from apple's 3 year parts and labor warranty is a pretty good deal.

I didn't ask them if it covered theft... I should.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by MKoop View Post
    Thanks for the responses-
    I asked best buy about the "1 accident" thing. You can have unlimited accidents in that 3 years, you spill coffee, drop it whatever its covered. UNLESS you shatter it into 5 pieces or break it beyond repair. If it is broken beyond repair it will be replaced and the warranty will no longer be valid (since it is now a completely different machine) but a new one can be purchased at that point. Seems to me, the extra $100 for "accidental" increase from apple's 3 year parts and labor warranty is a pretty good deal.

I didn't ask them if it covered theft... I should.
    Thanks for the additional info. I thought you said the Best Buy warranty costs an extra $350 vs. the extra $100 you just mentioned?

Definitely ask about the theft protection part...I would be very interested to know if it covers it.

Thanks,

- Nick

Didn't I say that it's a personal choice!

- Nick
    LOL Uhhh yeah that's why I said "I think that would depend on your life and how prone you are to an accident. "

You people are sensitive!!

Thanks for the additional info. I thought you said the Best Buy warranty costs an extra $350 vs. the extra $100 you just mentioned?

Definitely ask about the theft protection part...I would be very interested to know if it covers it.

Thanks,

- Nick
    It doesn't cover theft and it is 379 for 3 years.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic9t9 View Post
    It doesn't cover theft and it is 379 for 3 years.
    The lowest cost MacBook starts at $999. So to be honest...I'm not sure it's a wise financial decision to spend $379 for a warranty on a $999 computer. That's 38% of the purchase price of the computer.

With a more expensive MacBook or MacBook Pro...it might make more sense.

- Nick

I bought a MacBook Pro so I figured the warranty was a good peace of mind on my investment.
    That warranty for 3 years was 349.99.
    What I had meant about the $100 is, the warranty from BB covers parts,labor and accidental.
    The apple warranty is roughly $250 for 3 years and covers parts and labor.
    The extra $100 at best buy gets you the "accidental" clause added on, sorry I could have been more clear.

Thread Information