New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Bootcamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MKoop

MKoop is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Just bought my first MacBook Pro recently. Getting used to the new gui after using windows for so long.

I have a question about BootCamp, I know it is advertised to be used to allow windows on a make but can I use it to install OpenSUSE?

Also how much partition space would I want to allocate for OpenSUSE?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Some folks have successfully used Boot Camp to create a partition for Linux. However, I strongly recommend you consider running OpenSUSE in a VM instead. You can purchase a copy of Parallels, Fusion, or use the free VirtualBox from Sun to run OpenSUSE in a VM.

You shouldn't need much more than around 10 GB to run OpenSUSE (depends on how many apps you install) on a single partition. Don't opt for three partitions for OpenSUSE as its not needed when running from a VM. In other words, you don't need a separate partition for Home or Swap.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Novell recommends 3GB of HD space for openSUSE 11.1 (standard install). Add to that what you need for extra files and perhaps more importantly, room to grow with updates.

If you go the VM route (which is recommended unless you do 3D work or game under Linux), you could mount your home partition to a separate virtual HD if you're comfortable doing this. The benefit of this is that if you need to reinstall, you can just remount your home directory and you won't have to copy everything back over. This is a bit overkill for most though especially if you're just using it for testing or you have a good backup routine already in practice.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« why restart after installing new software? | Problems with 10.5-10.6 and windows networking »