New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What...the.....Heck

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

I_LOVE_MY_MAC

I_LOVE_MY_MAC can only hope to improve

I turn my computer off,turn it back on a few hours later and my clock is set to some said it sets to jan 1st.My background has changed and now Im getting these
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1...01231at703.png
By at 2009-09-11

Im running the latest version of Snow leopard.What the Heck happen!? SL is making very angry.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I don't know about the date and wallpaper change, but the dialog boxes have something to do with your Firewall preferences. Go to System Preferences>Security>Firewall. There you'll find options to either let all incoming network connections through, only selected ones, etc.

But first you should find out just what these applications are before letting them connect to your computer. I've never seen them before, so maybe someone else can help you figure them out.

It seems that "configd" has something to do with the Mac's Unix underpinnings. I found this link:

What is configd and why is it running on my Mac?

"configd 'Maintains dynamic configuration information about the computer and its environment (e.g. network).'"

MDNSResponder seems to be part of Bonjour and is also related to network connections, as explained here.

Bonjour - Frequently Asked Questions

"mDNSResponder is a Bonjour system service that implements Multicast DNS Service Discovery for discovery of services on the local network, and Unicast DNS Service Discovery for discovery of services anywhere in the world. mDNSResponder is built into Mac OS X and can be downloaded as part of Bonjour for Windows. Applications like iTunes, iPhoto, iChat and Safari use mDNSResponder to implement zero-configuration network music sharing, photo sharing, chatting and file sharing, and discovery of remote user interfaces for hardware devices like printers and web cameras."

It would seem to me that it's okay to allow these two processes, but you might want a second opinion on that.
QUOTE Thanks
I_LOVE_MY_MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
I don't know about the date and wallpaper change, but the dialog boxes have something to do with your Firewall preferences. Go to System Preferences>Security>Firewall. There you'll find options to either let all incoming network connections through, only selected ones, etc.

But first you should find out just what these applications are before letting them connect to your computer. I've never seen them before, so maybe someone else can help you figure them out.

It seems that "configd" has something to do with the Mac's Unix underpinnings. I found this link:

What is configd and why is it running on my Mac?

"configd 'Maintains dynamic configuration information about the computer and its environment (e.g. network).'"

MDNSResponder seems to be part of Bonjour and is also related to network connections, as explained here.

Bonjour - Frequently Asked Questions

"mDNSResponder is a Bonjour system service that implements Multicast DNS Service Discovery for discovery of services on the local network, and Unicast DNS Service Discovery for discovery of services anywhere in the world. mDNSResponder is built into Mac OS X and can be downloaded as part of Bonjour for Windows. Applications like iTunes, iPhoto, iChat and Safari use mDNSResponder to implement zero-configuration network music sharing, photo sharing, chatting and file sharing, and discovery of remote user interfaces for hardware devices like printers and web cameras."

It would seem to me that it's okay to allow these two processes, but you might want a second opinion on that.
Thanks but what about the wallpaper and date change lol.

And I have NEVER installed bonjour so why is it asking me for this...GRRR
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC View Post
Thanks but what about the wallpaper and date change lol.
What make & model is your Mac. If it's on the older side...3-5 years or older...the PRAM battery could be dead. The pram battery (among other things) maintains the correct date & time when the computer is shut off.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

You installed Bonjour when the OS was installed :-P It's how Macs talk to each other over the network. As for the rest, make sure your sys prefs say to set date and time automatically, that fixes that, and change your desktop back. Maybe you deleted or moved the image you were using.

And as pigoo suggested.. pram battery.
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

Snow Leopard wouldn't run on a five year old Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
Snow Leopard wouldn't run on a five year old Mac.
You're correct...thanks for mentioning that...I missed the detail about Snow Leopard! But SL will install on up to a 3.5 year-old computer.

Usually date & time issues are related to a dead PRAM battery.

Thanks again,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
I_LOVE_MY_MAC

Lol my computer is one month old ...
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

ILMM, did you try resetting the desktop image and the date and time in system preferences?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC View Post
Lol my computer is one month old ...
haha i thought as much ... When i saw your memory usage in the task bar ..
A question ... how did u get that up there with your Mac temp .... Intrigued would like that at my disposal to look at ...

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
I_LOVE_MY_MAC

iStats
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

iStats is the best

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks