Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Posts
    102
    What...the.....Heck
    I turn my computer off,turn it back on a few hours later and my clock is set to some said it sets to jan 1st.My background has changed and now Im getting these
    http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1...01231at703.png
    By at 2009-09-11




    Im running the latest version of Snow leopard.What the Heck happen!? SL is making very angry.

  2. #2

    Oneironaut's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 23, 2009
    Posts
    1,339
    Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    I don't know about the date and wallpaper change, but the dialog boxes have something to do with your Firewall preferences. Go to System Preferences>Security>Firewall. There you'll find options to either let all incoming network connections through, only selected ones, etc.

    But first you should find out just what these applications are before letting them connect to your computer. I've never seen them before, so maybe someone else can help you figure them out.

    It seems that "configd" has something to do with the Mac's Unix underpinnings. I found this link:

    What is configd and why is it running on my Mac?

    "configd 'Maintains dynamic configuration information about the computer and its environment (e.g. network).'"

    MDNSResponder seems to be part of Bonjour and is also related to network connections, as explained here.

    Bonjour - Frequently Asked Questions

    "mDNSResponder is a Bonjour system service that implements Multicast DNS Service Discovery for discovery of services on the local network, and Unicast DNS Service Discovery for discovery of services anywhere in the world. mDNSResponder is built into Mac OS X and can be downloaded as part of Bonjour for Windows. Applications like iTunes, iPhoto, iChat and Safari use mDNSResponder to implement zero-configuration network music sharing, photo sharing, chatting and file sharing, and discovery of remote user interfaces for hardware devices like printers and web cameras."

    It would seem to me that it's okay to allow these two processes, but you might want a second opinion on that.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Posts
    102
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
    I don't know about the date and wallpaper change, but the dialog boxes have something to do with your Firewall preferences. Go to System Preferences>Security>Firewall. There you'll find options to either let all incoming network connections through, only selected ones, etc.

    But first you should find out just what these applications are before letting them connect to your computer. I've never seen them before, so maybe someone else can help you figure them out.

    It seems that "configd" has something to do with the Mac's Unix underpinnings. I found this link:

    What is configd and why is it running on my Mac?

    "configd 'Maintains dynamic configuration information about the computer and its environment (e.g. network).'"

    MDNSResponder seems to be part of Bonjour and is also related to network connections, as explained here.

    Bonjour - Frequently Asked Questions

    "mDNSResponder is a Bonjour system service that implements Multicast DNS Service Discovery for discovery of services on the local network, and Unicast DNS Service Discovery for discovery of services anywhere in the world. mDNSResponder is built into Mac OS X and can be downloaded as part of Bonjour for Windows. Applications like iTunes, iPhoto, iChat and Safari use mDNSResponder to implement zero-configuration network music sharing, photo sharing, chatting and file sharing, and discovery of remote user interfaces for hardware devices like printers and web cameras."

    It would seem to me that it's okay to allow these two processes, but you might want a second opinion on that.
    Thanks but what about the wallpaper and date change lol.

    And I have NEVER installed bonjour so why is it asking me for this...GRRR

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,233
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC View Post
    Thanks but what about the wallpaper and date change lol.
    What make & model is your Mac. If it's on the older side...3-5 years or older...the PRAM battery could be dead. The pram battery (among other things) maintains the correct date & time when the computer is shut off.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2009
    Location
    Ithaca NY
    Posts
    2,073
    Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    You installed Bonjour when the OS was installed :-P It's how Macs talk to each other over the network. As for the rest, make sure your sys prefs say to set date and time automatically, that fixes that, and change your desktop back. Maybe you deleted or moved the image you were using.

    And as pigoo suggested.. pram battery.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Mar 24, 2008
    Posts
    410
    Snow Leopard wouldn't run on a five year old Mac.

  7. #7

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,233
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
    Snow Leopard wouldn't run on a five year old Mac.
    You're correct...thanks for mentioning that...I missed the detail about Snow Leopard! But SL will install on up to a 3.5 year-old computer.

    Usually date & time issues are related to a dead PRAM battery.

    Thanks again,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Posts
    102
    Lol my computer is one month old ...

  9. #9

    Oneironaut's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 23, 2009
    Posts
    1,339
    Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    ILMM, did you try resetting the desktop image and the date and time in system preferences?

  10. #10

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,430
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC View Post
    Lol my computer is one month old ...
    haha i thought as much ... When i saw your memory usage in the task bar ..
    A question ... how did u get that up there with your Mac temp .... Intrigued would like that at my disposal to look at ...

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Posts
    102
    iStats

  12. #12

    verdejt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 08, 2007
    Posts
    167
    iStats is the best
    iMac 20"
    iPod 5th Gen
    iPod Touch 4g

  13. #13


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Posts
    102
    I agree.Fun to know whats up with your computer

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What the heck?
    By Clueless_33 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
  2. What the heck does this do?
    By corysw in forum iOS and Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 09:16 AM
  3. What the heck is going on?
    By HmmIsee in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 05:22 PM
  4. How the heck?
    By 05GT in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •