bUrGe
    A Few Questions About Switching to OSX
    Hi guys,

New to this forum and have a few queries.......................

Currently running a few dual G4's on OS9.2 (OSX is there but I don't use it as I've got old software - namely quark, Photoshop and illustrator)

I'm looking at buying a 12" Powerbook this week but just noticed one thing

They no longer seem to ship with OS9 as a secondary OS - is that correct?

So now I have 2 choices...................

Can I buy the Powerbook and wipe it, installing OS9 somehow? If so, is it a ball ache?

Or..................

I have to switch to OSX (I suppose I should at some point!)

Hereís where my worries lie...................

I have a lot of fonts which Iíve acquired over the years - in the old OS9 format? Are these redundant in OSX or can I use them? From what I've seen they use .ttf like PCs?

Secondly, I have an old Fiery rip hooked up to a canon CLC Colour Laser Copier / Printer - as far as I know it has extensions and plug-ins for my OS9 for it to work - what are the chances of me getting this hooked up with OSX?

Finally, where is the best place to buy software? I am running Quark 4, Photoshop 5 and Illustrator 8 on my machines, so I'd want to get Quark 6, Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS in order to make my machines fully OSX Native - what's my best and cheapest route to upgrade?

Can anyone think of any other issues? I can't afford any downtime with the upgrade other than my issues listed above or ones I am made aware of.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mike

Specs:
    2GHz C2D macbook
    Quote Originally Posted by bUrGe
    Hi guys,

New to this forum and have a few queries.......................

Currently running a few dual G4's on OS9.2 (OSX is there but I don't use it as I've got old software - namely quark, Photoshop and illustrator)

I'm looking at buying a 12" Powerbook this week but just noticed one thing

They no longer seem to ship with OS9 as a secondary OS - is that correct?

So now I have 2 choices...................

Can I buy the Powerbook and wipe it, installing OS9 somehow? If so, is it a ball ache?

Or..................

I have to switch to OSX (I suppose I should at some point!)

Hereís where my worries lie...................

I have a lot of fonts which Iíve acquired over the years - in the old OS9 format? Are these redundant in OSX or can I use them? From what I've seen they use .ttf like PCs?

Secondly, I have an old Fiery rip hooked up to a canon CLC Colour Laser Copier / Printer - as far as I know it has extensions and plug-ins for my OS9 for it to work - what are the chances of me getting this hooked up with OSX?

Finally, where is the best place to buy software? I am running Quark 4, Photoshop 5 and Illustrator 8 on my machines, so I'd want to get Quark 6, Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS in order to make my machines fully OSX Native - what's my best and cheapest route to upgrade?

Can anyone think of any other issues? I can't afford any downtime with the upgrade other than my issues listed above or ones I am made aware of.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mike

none of apple's new hardware supports booting from OS 9 anymore, so you cannot use os 9 on new powerbooks.
    but, you can run classic apps in os X's classic environment. (you'll have to install classic from native os X CDs). apps will work, but much slower.

not sure about fonts and software

bUrGe
    as I suspected - cheers

anyone else?

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Fonts will work just fine, just copy them over. OS X supports just about every font format in the book, including Windows fonts.

Classic isn't much slower (maybe 10%) than running them on an actual OS 9 install. It's probably faster than OS X, since it doesn't have all the eye candy. Still, it feels awkward, and it's a dead end.

Adobe's in the process of releasing Creative Suite 2. There might be a discounted upgrade, check the Adobe site.

bUrGe
    Quote Originally Posted by technologist
    Fonts will work just fine, just copy them over. OS X supports just about every font format in the book, including Windows fonts.

Classic isn't much slower (maybe 10%) than running them on an actual OS 9 install. It's probably faster than OS X, since it doesn't have all the eye candy. Still, it feels awkward, and it's a dead end.

Adobe's in the process of releasing Creative Suite 2. There might be a discounted upgrade, check the Adobe site.
    going down the OSX native route............

expensive, but got to be done!!!!!

anyone recommend an ultra-portable projector?

must be totally clutter free like the 12" powerbook, not look out of place and be tiny - the best i've found so far is the Panasonic PT-LM1 - not bad too @ £500

Creative Suite 2 doesn't ship until May unfortunately - pity!

Specs:
    2GHz C2D macbook
    infocus has nice projectors too. if you are happy with lower resolution 800x600, you can get a really tiny one

Thread Information