New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A Few Questions About Switching to OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bUrGe

Hi guys,

New to this forum and have a few queries.......................

Currently running a few dual G4's on OS9.2 (OSX is there but I don't use it as I've got old software - namely quark, Photoshop and illustrator)

I'm looking at buying a 12" Powerbook this week but just noticed one thing

They no longer seem to ship with OS9 as a secondary OS - is that correct?

So now I have 2 choices...................

Can I buy the Powerbook and wipe it, installing OS9 somehow? If so, is it a ball ache?

Or..................

I have to switch to OSX (I suppose I should at some point!)

Hereís where my worries lie...................

I have a lot of fonts which Iíve acquired over the years - in the old OS9 format? Are these redundant in OSX or can I use them? From what I've seen they use .ttf like PCs?

Secondly, I have an old Fiery rip hooked up to a canon CLC Colour Laser Copier / Printer - as far as I know it has extensions and plug-ins for my OS9 for it to work - what are the chances of me getting this hooked up with OSX?

Finally, where is the best place to buy software? I am running Quark 4, Photoshop 5 and Illustrator 8 on my machines, so I'd want to get Quark 6, Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS in order to make my machines fully OSX Native - what's my best and cheapest route to upgrade?

Can anyone think of any other issues? I can't afford any downtime with the upgrade other than my issues listed above or ones I am made aware of.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUrGe
Hi guys,

New to this forum and have a few queries.......................

Currently running a few dual G4's on OS9.2 (OSX is there but I don't use it as I've got old software - namely quark, Photoshop and illustrator)

I'm looking at buying a 12" Powerbook this week but just noticed one thing

They no longer seem to ship with OS9 as a secondary OS - is that correct?

So now I have 2 choices...................

Can I buy the Powerbook and wipe it, installing OS9 somehow? If so, is it a ball ache?

Or..................

I have to switch to OSX (I suppose I should at some point!)

Hereís where my worries lie...................

I have a lot of fonts which Iíve acquired over the years - in the old OS9 format? Are these redundant in OSX or can I use them? From what I've seen they use .ttf like PCs?

Secondly, I have an old Fiery rip hooked up to a canon CLC Colour Laser Copier / Printer - as far as I know it has extensions and plug-ins for my OS9 for it to work - what are the chances of me getting this hooked up with OSX?

Finally, where is the best place to buy software? I am running Quark 4, Photoshop 5 and Illustrator 8 on my machines, so I'd want to get Quark 6, Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS in order to make my machines fully OSX Native - what's my best and cheapest route to upgrade?

Can anyone think of any other issues? I can't afford any downtime with the upgrade other than my issues listed above or ones I am made aware of.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

none of apple's new hardware supports booting from OS 9 anymore, so you cannot use os 9 on new powerbooks.
but, you can run classic apps in os X's classic environment. (you'll have to install classic from native os X CDs). apps will work, but much slower.

not sure about fonts and software
QUOTE Thanks
bUrGe

as I suspected - cheers

anyone else?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Fonts will work just fine, just copy them over. OS X supports just about every font format in the book, including Windows fonts.

Classic isn't much slower (maybe 10%) than running them on an actual OS 9 install. It's probably faster than OS X, since it doesn't have all the eye candy. Still, it feels awkward, and it's a dead end.

Adobe's in the process of releasing Creative Suite 2. There might be a discounted upgrade, check the Adobe site.
QUOTE Thanks
bUrGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
Fonts will work just fine, just copy them over. OS X supports just about every font format in the book, including Windows fonts.

Classic isn't much slower (maybe 10%) than running them on an actual OS 9 install. It's probably faster than OS X, since it doesn't have all the eye candy. Still, it feels awkward, and it's a dead end.

Adobe's in the process of releasing Creative Suite 2. There might be a discounted upgrade, check the Adobe site.
going down the OSX native route............

expensive, but got to be done!!!!!

anyone recommend an ultra-portable projector?

must be totally clutter free like the 12" powerbook, not look out of place and be tiny - the best i've found so far is the Panasonic PT-LM1 - not bad too @ £500

Creative Suite 2 doesn't ship until May unfortunately - pity!
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

infocus has nice projectors too. if you are happy with lower resolution 800x600, you can get a really tiny one
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iChat question | Anyone have any pics of an iMac G5 w/ the harmon kardon sounsticks 2? »