New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to erase all files. For ever!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Goodbye PC

Goodbye PC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac & macbook

Hi.. I'm getting rid of my Macbook (3 months old) and getting a Macbook Pro... mainly for the firewire to record audio.

I've heard of the 'Eraser' software to clean up the mac...

Any alternatives that's better for mac? Is there a simpler way?

Any help appreciated.

Also... how do I erase the files and not the applications?

Does Eraser delete the files only?... or everything?

Confused
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If all you want to do is erase files and leave everything else "as is":

Move them to the trash can - go to the Finder menu and select 'Secure empty trash'

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Goodbye PC

Thanks for the quick reply.

Does that function secure the files currently present in the trash?.... or does it secure the trash's history?

What about internet history?

I want to sell the macbook as I bought it (excluding software /application updates)

Is there an easy way of doing this without downloading software?

sorry if this sound simple but I'm a mac noob when it comes to things like this.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you're wanting to sell the machine - insert the original disk that came with the machine - restart holding down the 'C' key and reinstall

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Well, I'd do more then just reinstall - if you want to totally cover yourself, when you're in the install DVD, before you go into the install process you can access disk utility and have it do a multipass security wipe, then reinstall the OS.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Goodbye PC

So the original disk has all the applications e.e. garageband, i tunes, safari etc

If I re-install... would it erase the applications?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

You have 2 disks that came with the machine - they have everything it was shipped with.

QUOTE Thanks
mr.lumberg

mr.lumberg is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" unibody MBP, Core Duo 2.66, NIVIDEA 9400 graphics, 4GB DDR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If you're wanting to sell the machine - insert the original disk that came with the machine - restart holding down the 'C' key and reinstall
Agreed. A fresh install will completely reformat the HDD and wipe everything. The reason that programs exist to recover deleted data is that modern OS's often don't actually delete the file - they merely tag those sectors on the disk as being writeable again, so as long is nothing is put over them, the data is actually still there. Also, they use what are called "journalised" file formats, so there is additional info about the contents of a sector of the disk hiding out on other parts of the disk. A reformat will put everything back to the way you had it when you first got it.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Use the multi pass security swipe which will write over your disk up to 37 times I believe, which is pretty **** secure. They said that most government offices only use 7 times through when they erase disks.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Note though that zeroing the disk (erasing it securely) will take a really long time especially if you do it more than once. See here for more info.

When I say long, I'm talking hours. If you do the 7-pass or more, leave it overnight.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

For sure.
QUOTE Thanks
Goodbye PC

For sure, for sure....

right...

I've done the 7 pass! And re-installed Mac OSX.. at the end of the installation it said that it had to restart.... so I clicked 'OK'....

Now the Macbook has started with the welcome and registration programme...

I don't wish to register myself with it again cause I want to sell it.... and I can't shut it down!

Also... if this is the case... how do I re-install the Applications DVD....

hmmmm

I've got offers on it already and I really want to get rid!

Thanks for the responses guys
QUOTE Thanks
Goodbye PC

Created a new temp. account in order to re-install applications.....

By now.... someone's bought it!

But .... how do I set it up as bought? I want to set it up so the buyer sees the 'Apple Welcome programme' when switched on....

????????????

My lack of mac terminology fails in Google!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Show user as anybody and password as 1234.

Pass on the install discs and this info to the new user and they can then change it to whatever they like. To get the welcome screen, sell after wiping the drive and l;et them do their own install. You are including the system discs with the machine? Otherwise you should not put an OS on it.
QUOTE Thanks
Candise

Candise is on a distinguished road

Reformat you computer.. in that way you will be able to delete all the saved files.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New MAC and Anti-Virus question | Shortcut for Finder »