Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Posts
    102
    9+ seconds to go into idle? up to ONE minute to shut off!? wtf sl
    My mbp would shut down instantly when I would close the screen.Now it takes 9 or more seconds.And shut down? yea ill have some good 4 second shut downs but other than that,I will be here for a good minute.

    This is aggravating. I thought sl was suppose to be perfect? And on top of that my expose does not work properly. I swipe one way and it gets stuck.I try getting out swiping and it jus blows and goes back to whatever I was at (expose or desktop)


    help please.

  2. #2

    walkerj's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 13, 2005
    Location
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    Posts
    1,186
    Specs:
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    Eh, 9 seconds to go to sleep from lid closure is about right for my Macbook Pro. When I close the lid to go home from work I wait about five seconds to pick it up and by the time it's in the case the light will be in "breathe mode." Zip up and go. Kind of like sex at a hotel with a hooker. Every day. No complaints. Get home and on lid opening it's about two seconds from password entry to up and running on wifi. Again with the sex with a hooker analogy.

    As for a full shutdown, well yes it takes a little bit longer for that to happen. But that doesn't happen very often, so I don't remember how long it takes for it to shutdown. Usually when that happens it's because of a software update, so I've quit all my applications prior to that.

    Can't think of a hooker analogy for that one. Anyway this all sounds pretty normal.

  3. #3

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    47,163
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    To the OP:

    Download and install the "SmartSleep Preference Pane". It's free and was just recently updated for Snow Leopard.

    Give it a try.

    Regards.

  4. #4

    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,442
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    The timing is off and you need an oil change.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

  5. #5

    Oneironaut's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 23, 2009
    Posts
    1,336
    Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    SmartSleep is a big help when I know I'm gonna be on the go all day, opening and closing my MBP. It's also nice to have a hibernate option.

  6. #6

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,842
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC View Post
    My mbp would shut down instantly when I would close the screen.Now it takes 9 or more seconds.And shut down? yea ill have some good 4 second shut downs but other than that,I will be here for a good minute.

    This is aggravating. I thought sl was suppose to be perfect? And on top of that my expose does not work properly. I swipe one way and it gets stuck.I try getting out swiping and it jus blows and goes back to whatever I was at (expose or desktop)


    help please.
    No OS is perfect right after release. It will go through 2 or more major revisions until Snow Leopard starts being rock solid. Heck, I would argue that Leopard was pretty flakey up until 10.5.3 or so. It's also going to take awhile for the developers to catch up and get third party applications up to snuff. Until then, you can either grin and bear it or revert back to Leopard. If your machine is mission critical in some way, I'd strongly suggest that you do so.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Posts
    102
    So pretty much suck it up and bear with it? Why does leopard work fine (on and off) and sl messes up with something so simple? I mean idle and shutting off is nothing..And the expose mode as well..wtf.

  8. #8

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,842
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC View Post
    So pretty much suck it up and bear with it? Why does leopard work fine (on and off) and sl messes up with something so simple? I mean idle and shutting off is nothing..And the expose mode as well..wtf.
    Not sure. I'm not seeing any of the issues that you're describing. I had an issue early on that was resolved by removing some incompatible beta software. But other than that, SL works as well as (and in some cases better than) Leopard for me.

    My guess is you've either got some incompatible software or a bad install. I would recommend backing up your system and doing a completely clean install. Do NOT add any third party software at all and test all known-problematic functionality. If everything checks out, start adding in apps one by one and testing to see which one triggers the issues.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    To the OP:

    Download and install the "SmartSleep Preference Pane". It's free and was just recently updated for Snow Leopard.

    Give it a try.

    Regards.
    Dont understand any of the stuff it says.I dl and put smart sleep and now it takes 20 seconds to "sleep" when u shut the screen..

    I just want my computer to turn of when I close it and shut off like its suppose to.I dont understand why it goes from 4 seconds to shut off and INSTANT power off to 15 seconds to idle on a full charge and 1 minute to turn off..

    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Not sure. I'm not seeing any of the issues that you're describing. I had an issue early on that was resolved by removing some incompatible beta software. But other than that, SL works as well as (and in some cases better than) Leopard for me.

    My guess is you've either got some incompatible software or a bad install. I would recommend backing up your system and doing a completely clean install. Do NOT add any third party software at all and test all known-problematic functionality. If everything checks out, start adding in apps one by one and testing to see which one triggers the issues.
    Question,when I back up on TM does it save my 3rd party apps? Or just the main stuff on the computer.

    Also im post what I have on my computer in a bit.

    System pref I have
    -flip4mac
    -iStat
    -Perivian


    Downloads I have
    -cocout battery
    -smcfan control


    The rest are stuff like
    Limewire
    journlr
    pod to mac.
    ect

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Sep 12, 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    15
    Specs:
    15" unibody MBP, Core Duo 2.66, NIVIDEA 9400 graphics, 4GB DDR3
    When is the last time you deleted your caches? That could have a lot to do with it also.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Posts
    102
    I do an onyx clean every few days.That cleans it all out right.

  12. #12

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    47,163
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I hope you're not using OnyX with Snow Leopard because the current version (2.0.5) is not compatible and may actually cause problems. I tried an older version that I used with Leopard and it too would not work right with Snow Leopard. Hopefully Titanium software is working on an update.

    Regards.

  13. #13

    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,442
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    Main menu 1.7 works fine; so does Applejack 1.5.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I hope you're not using OnyX with Snow Leopard because the current version (2.0.5) is not compatible and may actually cause problems. I tried an older version that I used with Leopard and it too would not work right with Snow Leopard. Hopefully Titanium software is working on an update.

    Regards.
    uh...I have lol.Should I delete it now and stop using it =-0?

  15. #15

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    47,163
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC View Post
    uh...I have lol.Should I delete it now and stop using it =-0?
    Yes. Remove OnyX and wait for an update from Titanium Software. In the meantime you can use Main Menu (shareware) or YASU (donation ware). Both have been updated for Snow Leopard. Some folks also like Applejack 1.5. I personally do not like it nor recommend using it but that's up to you.

    Regards.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Spilled water on Macbook, 2 seconds later it shut off
    By ResearchGuy in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 02:17 PM
  2. bootcamp goes idle for 1 minute BEFORE booting windows.
    By lui_dr in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 05:30 AM
  3. random shut downs??? wtf???
    By synthemesc in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 04:51 AM
  4. Wtf!!!!!!!!!
    By section8joe in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •