New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is the basic macbook enough?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jack24

jack24 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone. My wife's laptop (PC) just destroyed itself and we think it's time for a replacement. She likes both Mac and PC, but we are on a limited budget and want something that will last for a while.
She'll use the computer mostly for blogging, emailing, hulu (& netflix), and light picture/video editing. Will the basic ($999) macbook do the job for a couple years?
On paper, I can get a lot more for my money if I go the PC route, but I think we are ready for a change. However, if I need to spend more than 1000 to get a good mac, I think we'll probably have stick with dell or lenovo.

Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

MacBook will be enough. They're impressive little machines. Enjoy it.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

You could spend less on a Windows box, but you won't be getting more. The quality of the Mac's construction and design, the incredible (U.S.-based) customer service, the suite of included programs which have no equivalent in Windows, the fact that you don't need to worry about viruses, defragging and cleaning out registries just to keep your computer running normally, the integration between apps, the ability to run Leopard AND Windows... don't let the price tag fool you. On paper you can "more" from a PC. In reality, you'll get more AND less (as in less headaches and bloatware) from a Macbook, as well as a piece of technology that you'll actually love to use.

The Apple Store also offers free short seminars on how to use your Mac and its apps as well as one on one training, personal shopping appointments, and the Genius bar for more complicated issues. Where can you go to really learn about your Windows box like that?
QUOTE Thanks
jack24

jack24 is on a distinguished road

So do you think the basic macbook is enough for what my wife wants to do? Or should I suck it up and spend a little more to upgrade it a bit?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Do any upgrades yourself, like buying extra ram or a bigger hard drive and installing them yourself

The macbooks are great, I am more than happy with mine

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

That machine will do what you're looking for. My wife uses the model prior to that one with a much cheesier video card. And still plays all of her games etc. just fine.

If you're close to an Apple store, give 'em a call. Tell 'em you want to set up a personal shopper appointment. They'll give you an hour where you both can go in, play with it, ask questions, try a couple of hulu vids - if the hulu HD vids play fine you won't have any problem with Netflix. (Don't know if you can try Netflix in store since you have to install Silverlight to use it on a Mac.) Streaming videos with todays computers, typically are more about your connection than your equipment.

Ask them to give you a tour of the software included - iPhoto - the new iTunes, etc. ....

Man, I'm starting to sound like a fan boy... gotta stop now.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Jack, that Macbook should suit your needs, but if by upgrade you mean the next version up, I'd say a 13 inch Macbook Pro is worth the couple extra hundred bucks for the LED screen and Multitouch trackpad alone. The aluminum body is also much sleeker and less toy-like.
QUOTE Thanks
TheFr33man

TheFr33man is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 09 White MacBook 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Snow Leopard V10.6.1; iPad 16g WiFi

I absolutely love mine. Right out of the box I could tell I would never go back to a windows machine for my personal computer. The entry level MacBook will do all those things and more. You won't be disappointed.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
My wife uses the model prior to that one with a much cheesier video card.
Mmmmm....CHEESY!!

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 Will Not Start Up | Photo Booth »