New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Windows on a removable drive.......

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

auminiom

hi everyone!!! Im new.
Aight, i have two questions.

One: Can you install windows on a portable harddrive and switch back and forth using a mac? There are just something that i really like about windows, and manything things that i like about macs. I dont want to get virtual PC, and i dont want to partition within my mac's harddrive.. btw i have that 12" iBook.

Two: I also have a windows computer and i wondering how i can connect the two, without having a router... or something like that.. maybe through USB? Shareing files? I need to use Windows and this mac, to transfer files all the time, but routers are kind of expensive..

Three: I know i said only 2 questions, but here's a third... okay, i want to get Airport Extreme so i can have wireless internet in the house... but can i use that for my PC too? Like use the internet with both computers at the same time? I heard u can.. but u have to do it through some admin thing... or something like that...

Aight, for my first post, i know that i have asked a lot... i hope that i dont get flagged or n e thing like that.. or get people anoyed because i am stupid, but ur answers will be highly appriciated!! Thanks
-Aum
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

1: no windows will not run on the processor. unless u have an emmulator (vurtual pc)
3: I am gonna answer 3 first beacause it will answer #2 . yea if you get a airport extreme you can use 2 computers at the same time. but u will need a wireless card in ur PC as well.. and if you do that. you can share files over ur wireless network so that answer #2
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by auminiom
One: Can you install windows on a portable harddrive and switch back and forth using a mac?
I have one question for you:
Are you aware that a Mac is a totally different architecture?

A Mac can't run Windows, just as a PC can't run Mac OS X. I mean natively of course, without using any emulation software...
QUOTE Thanks
auminiom

okay thanks for your answers,
yes i was aware that mac have a different architecture, but i heard that you can make a partition and install another OS on it..

I was wondering if i can use my mac laptop with wireless connection, and use my PC with a regular cord connection, is the possible?

Also besidess the airport extreme, is there any other way to connect and share files through the two computers? Without a router, airport etc... Maybe through a USB wire, or through a phone cord?

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Get a crossover ethernet cable, probably the cheapest option for connecting 2 computers.
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

Cross over cable is the way to go in my opinion. Ethernet or firewire, depending on which you want.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by auminiom
yes i was aware that mac have a different architecture, but i heard that you can make a partition and install another OS on it.

Also besidess the airport extreme, is there any other way to connect and share files through the two computers? Without a router, airport etc... Maybe through a USB wire, or through a phone cord?
The other OS you can install on a second partition (or external HD) is Mac OS9, also referred to as Classic.
But there's no need for that, you can have Classic on the same partition than OS X, which is the standard config when you bought the Mac.
The only benefit of having OS9 on a different partition or HD is to boot the Mac with OS9. Since that is not possible anymore with recent Macs (no iBook G4 can boot in OS9, for example) and software development for OS9 has mostly been stopped, it is not necessary.

To easily connect the Mac and PC together to transfer files is, as mynameis said, a crossover ethernet cable.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
The other OS you can install on a second partition (or external HD) is Mac OS9, also referred to as Classic.
What about Linux?
QUOTE Thanks
Killer_VCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
What about Linux?

That's what wintel machines are for IMO Xandros 3.0.1 OC is the easiest distro to use. I have it dual booted with windows xp.. It's a great os.
QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

mmoy is an unknown at this point

Routers are expensive? I saw a Wireless B router for $10
at CompUSA a few weeks ago. You don't even need the
wireless part as far as I can tell. Just wait for the sales.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoy
Agreed, there are some pretty cheep 4 port routers out there and even with Wireless. If you don't want a router but want to transfer files back and forth, like was already stated, a Crossover cable will work great. I would though look around and find a cheep router with 4 wired ports and wireless. Even if it's a 11Mbps wireless, it will be fine for internet.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
What about Linux?
Ok, that would be another possibility too...nevertheless, no Linux distro on Mac comes anywhere close to OS X, and as that already is Unix-based, I don't really see the use of Linux on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
WireFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Ok, that would be another possibility too...nevertheless, no Linux distro on Mac comes anywhere close to OS X, and as that already is Unix-based, I don't really see the use of Linux on a Mac.
Yes, using a mac-compatable version of linux on a mac machine is rather.........pointless. OSX is unix based, as is linux. Pretty much everything on linux that is comercial software you might want also probobly supports OSX. Any open source software is allready either on mac or there is a similar open source program that IS avaliable for mac. If you are installing linux so that you can use a decent command line, well, thats absolute crap because OSX has a similar, if not supperiour, command line.

As for linking a windows/linux/BSD/Unix/Solaris/etc. computer to a mac, firewire is your best bet. Firewire is extremely fast, and a cable is not that expensive.

On a similar note, Virtual PC is horrible. Running virtual pc on a mac feels like working on a pent 256.

If you still are going to use a windows machine for some things, your best bet is to keep a windows machine handy. There really is not a easy way to get your favorite windows apps on mac without a significant slow down.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Note: you do not need a crossover Ethernet or Firewire cable on the Macs. Their ports are auto-sensing.

I regularly transfer date between PCs and Macs using a plain ol' Ethernet cable.
QUOTE Thanks
whoriental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoy
Did you bring your magnifying glass to CompUSA as well to see the after rebates print on the sign? I know trust me, i work there. People yell at me daily about that. **** compUSA
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Moving Outlook2000 emails and contacts over... | Good Thing I KEPT The PC ... »