New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Can a mac run everything we need?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jelly10

jelly10 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I work in a growing design/engineering firm.. the problem is we are not just graphics and not just engineering products:

as an example these are the programmes we run in order of use.....

1+2. Illustrator + photoshop (available on Mac and PC)
3. 3D Max+Vray(plugin) with Backburner (Only PC)
4. Solidworks (Only PC)

The problem is we use backburner which distributes the rendering for 3d animations.... Ive heard that using parallels with Max is not best as it uses so much memory for complex files..

We keep having the usual problems with PCs running out of memory due to windows rubbish structure.... so we want to slowly introduce Macs

so My questions are:
1. Will 3dmax come ever be out on mac
2. Is there any other 3D programme to distribute rendering through mac and PC platforms using Vray that are up to same standard?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
joeyboots

joeyboots is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Its weird how autodesk owns 3D now. Go to their site. They now own Maya which runs on Mac and PC. They also list Mac compatibility for Inventor, which made me very gitty, but upon closer inspection, the details point you to a boot camp tutorial.

So Maya then, all I know is you can customize the heck out of it. Not nearly as user friendly though. I'm pretty sure there are ways to distribute rendering with that.

As far as parametric modeling goes, yeah, I don't think you'll ever find a robust alternative for Solidworks, Solid Edge, or Inventor on the Mac.

Go here if you wanna dig through some demos to try out.

I'm not a Mac. I'm not a PC. I'm a person.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Thread moved to more appropriate forum. Please read before posting in Rumors & Reports.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jelly10

Hi thanks,

I forgot to mention we use Autocad for planning apllications

Ive only quickly looked at Maya and it looked very complex, mainly aimed at film for doing special effects (not what we do)....

Its a shame 3dMax isnt available tho.. as Solidworks and Autocad could run on parallels ok as not as power hungy...... we could then buy just Adobe suite as an extra.
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

what would be the benefit in running everything in a virtual system? seems to me like you're still better off using the windows platform
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathe View Post
what would be the benefit in running everything in a virtual system? seems to me like you're still better off using the windows platform
In my opinion, that's the best way to run Windows. It's completely sandboxed and easily recovered if there's ever a failure, virus or other form of malware. The only time you're at a disadvantage is if you need to run 3D-accelerated software.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jelly10

Windows keeps clogging as we use it so intense, it usually means once a year we have to wipe it, it keeps crashing also,

the director was fed up of the problems we have had, he uses a mac and never has had software problems so wanted to explore the route of a mac....
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

The weird thing is Virtual Machines have a tendency to make Windows more stable. I don't know why, it's just true. So, running Windows in something like VirtualBox or parallels might work for you.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
jelly10

ok, I suppose the only way to find out is to buy a mac and find out, I suppose if the worst comes to the worst then we have a very nice looking and expensive PC :-)
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I don't think a VM would be fast enough for any sort of 3D CAD work.

Architosh is the site where all the Mac CAD people hang out.
Architosh - Welcome to the #1 Mac CAD / 3D / AEC Website
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What made you switch? | transfer files from my PC to my Mac »