New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Compatible PC peripherals?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sunshine

Hi folks,

thinking of buying a G5, currently have PC.

Is there a list of what PC peripherals (monitor, tablet/mouse, printer, scanner) that are or are not compatible with a G5?

cheers,
Sunshine
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Just about any peripheral you plug into the mac will work. But if you find one that does not work, just go to the manufacturer's website and see if they got any software of drivers for the mac. Even my old Microsoft mouse works great with my mac.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

There are far, far too many of both working and non-working peripherals to list.

Perhipherals with a serial port, PS/2 port, or parallel port will require an adaptor, or might not work at all.

Any monitor will work, so long as it supports a resolution that the Mac's video card also supports.

Mice and keyboards will work, but extra buttons (jump-to buttons, volume buttons, etc. on keyboards, or buttons beyond the usual two+wheel on a mouse) may require drivers, which may or may not be available depending on the manufacturer.

All PostScript printers will work. Inkjet and non-postscript printers will require a driver. Some will work without an official driver, but some features might be lost. Check the manufacturer's website, or http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/printers.html Epson recently decided that their cheapest printers would be Windows-only, but the more expensive models would support the Mac. Go figure.

TWAIN scanners will work, and almost every scanner has a Mac driver. Ditto with digital cameras.

Many cell phones and PDAs are supported through iSync. (http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html) Other devices might require a third-party driver such as PocketMac (http://www.pocketmac.net/) or Missing Sync (http://www.markspace.com/products.html)
QUOTE Thanks
Sunshine

thanks!

all my peripherals (printer & scanner (HP); tablet (Wacom); card-reader (?)) are USB, and the monitor is a Benq LCD - I guess I'll just hunt the manufacturer's websites then to double check.

my canon 10D has a Mac compatibility so that's ok.

If i plug in the card reader (generic 6in1 USB) do those work ok on Macs? (it came with no drivers or anything)?

cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

It's most definite that your card reader will work just fine, even without drivers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« tiger os | When Upgrading to Tiger »