New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Whether to wait or not, and an imac or mini?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Dawei

 
Member Since: Jan 02, 2008
Posts: 2
Dawei is on a distinguished road

Dawei is offline
Hello,

I've been a reader of this forum for couple years now since I bought my white macbook back in 2007. I am wondering if I should hold off on buying an imac or mac mini for now and wait for update on hardware. Also, I play WoW on my macbook and it runs decent since I have 4GB RAM with GMA X3100, will iMac with GeForce 9400M be an upgrade or not much different? What about iMac ability to run games vs mac mini? Since they are about $400 different and if they are not much different I would just go with the mini.

Thanks in advance

David
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,606
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawei View Post
Hello,

I've been a reader of this forum for couple years now since I bought my white macbook back in 2007. I am wondering if I should hold off on buying an imac or mac mini for now and wait for update on hardware.
If you have been reader on Mac-Forums for a couple years...then you already know the frequent answer that people get when they ask this question...and that is if you need new computer hardware now...then you need to buy now!

If you can wait...then wait.

Regarding the $400 price difference between the iMac & Mac Mini. Remember when you buy an iMac you're also getting:

- a display
- a keyboard
- a mouse
- a larger aluminum housing which costs more money

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Lankysean

 
Member Since: Jan 24, 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 116
Lankysean will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

Lankysean is offline
I'd go with the iMac personally, I mean, it's going to be faster then the Mini and you get a nice screen. Don't get me wrong, the Mini is a nice little machine for what it does.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,073
DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

DarkestRitual is offline
I'd go for the iMac, but wait a couple of months. Also, the 9400M is leaps and bounds better than the onboard intel GMA. I also play WoW, and it's waaaaay better on my MacBook with the 9400m than the old intel GMA 950 in my dad's Mac Mini. I know the x3100 is "better" but it's still an intel integrated card. You'll see a difference. I run WoW about 75-80% of full graphics capabilities.
QUOTE Thanks
decoman

 
decoman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 04, 2009
Posts: 137
decoman is on a distinguished road

decoman is offline
I just went thru that situation and went with IMac, not knowing much about Mac's hardware compared to PC shopping I still was convince that the imac was a better deal...
QUOTE Thanks
Leet Sher

 
Leet Sher's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 07, 2009
Location: Watching your every move...
Posts: 21
Leet Sher is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook5,2;2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo;120 GB HDD;2 GB RAM

Leet Sher is offline
I would at least wait for the rumored iPad to come out. Apple might upgrade all there products at the same time as releasing the iPad.

QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,073
DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

DarkestRitual is offline
The iMac is due for an upgrade soon, anyway I believe.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Hello | Will I be able to sync my Creative Zen 4GB MP3 with Mac? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?