New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Network printer to print black only

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

margaret438

margaret438 is on a distinguished road

hi - how can i set my network printer (using time capsule and hp 7410 all in one) to print black only? i don't see an option on the drop down print menu.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try the Presets menu: Fast Draft, Plain Paper, Black and White

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

bobtomay - sorry, for delay...the only options i have under preset menu are: standard, last used settings, save (grayed out), save as, rename (grayed out) and delete (grayed out). after page orientation options, there are more options: safari (where i happen to be, mail if i want to print mail, etc), layout, color matching (prev tried this one), paper handling, cover page, scheduler, then 2sided printing (which this machine does), paper type/quality....nothing relating to any of the preset options you mentioned.

i went back to hp site, just to see if perhaps there were more recent drivers; i downloaded the 2007 one (which i thought i did before but wasn't absolutely sure), same options as noted above.

p.s. i am also using parallels for mac since i need access to IE. i'll doublechk the vm to ensure i at least had same print capability before this latest hp download. i had all the all-in-one functions (scan,print, etc.) working on both sides before i noticed i couldn't print black only. also, don't think i've seen the fast draft nor black/white option on vm side either but will doublecheck. thanks so much

update: ok, parallels forced me to do an update b4 i could use. when i use the printer option automatically provided by parallels (hp colorlaserjet 8500 ps), i do have the option to select black/white vs color. i did not run bonjour printer wizard (on vm side) to install hp 7410 allinone as i did previously.

any other suggestions for getting black/white print on mac side functioning?? these ink cartridges are just too expensive to always print in color.

thanks soo much.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

My only Safari preset that even references B&W is called "Plain Paper, Fast Draft, Black and White". What if I a nice "non-fast draft" B&W printout? I'm with you, it seems like I go through a yellow ink cartridge way to much, just printing out a few Google Maps and the like.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I have this:

Next thing you might check is here:

QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

oooooh my goodness - thank you bobtomay - you are a god!!!!

YES it is under paper type/quality option. also the print (draft, normal, automatic, etc. can be selected via another one of those options under the paper type/quality option

you deserve some dancing bananas!!! thank you!! thank you!!!

p.s. the only thing is, although i have the grayscale mode, i don't have a black print cartridge function. wish i did but sure is better than eating up all the color ink for junk printing.

pps - oh i take that back - i can select black cartridge only -- after you select grayscale, i have to click on the 'color options' located above which then gives me black cartridge. oh my goodness, i'm doing the happy dance! thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Glad to help.

Probably a lot more differences from model to model also.

What I haven't figured out on my Mac is how to do double sided printing correctly on a multi page doc.
I always end up with the last page on top when it's finished instead of the first page.

QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

i'll have to try that and see what happens. i've tested the duplex printing since moving to mac, but bcause of the color ink 'problem', i prolly didn't print more than 2 pages.
QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

bobtomay - i just double sided printing the snowleopard software compatibility guide - only the first 5 pages. the first page that printed was page 5 on one side, and the other 4 pages did duplex printing correctly with the page 1 showing on top.

i like all my prints to print the last page first so the first page comes on top, so to avoid having to hand 'collate', so i'm sure i took care of that early on. in windows, there is a setting in printer preferences or some place like that that says 'print last page first'. right now, i can't think i where i found that in mac.

update: print last page first...or 'reverse' order. unfortunately, i know next to nothing about the mac (as evidenced by my number of posts! lol), so don't know where to find it on mac. i'll keep thinking though.
QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

try this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=249114

i prolly stumbled across it while trying to find how to print in black ink only lol
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet, thanks Bob. Worked like a charm.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
chinarut

chinarut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Try the Presets menu: Fast Draft, Plain Paper, Black and White
Hi! I just thought I'd add this is what looks like a new Snow Leopard feature. Can anyone confirm this? I saw it the other day when I went to print and have to admit as subtle as it is, it was a nice surprise as I've been creating custom b&w presets using the alternative method you outlined for quite awhile! (nice, help diagrams btw!)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I've had those options at least since Leopard. I'm getting senile, so I don't have a clue if they were there in Tiger any longer.

Of course, not to say all HP software for every printer is the same either. I did use the full HP suite, not the Apple preloaded drivers. I am also one of the few it looks like, that my previous HP software has continued to function in SL.

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

I ended up deleting my HP PhotoSmart C5100 software. Reinstalled the downloaded Apple/HP 2.1 printer bundle (~400MB). Everything works fine again now. The scan/print options are now built into Print/Fax in System Preferences, Preview, and Image Capture. No need to open the Photosmart Device Manager, etc... Plugins for import to iPhoto, Preview, Adobe Reader, etc in the scanning function in the OS now. Markup of scanned images in Preview works just fine as well.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Thanks XJ - guess maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Brand new! | Alternative to Quicken 2013 »