New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

BitTorrent, again

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amendolair

amendolair is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D

Hey all, I'm new to Macs and even newer to this whole BitTorrent thing. I've been searching through the forums and reading all the posts that you experts have written about bitTorrenting, but I'm still confused. I have the original BitTorrent app, but my speeds are incredibly slow. I've tried changing the Max UL to 1 and the Num UL to 1, but everytime I try to, Max UL goes to 0 and Num UL goes to 4 automatically. I tried configuring Azureus, and the whole port forwarding thing is very difficult to me. I'm using my Airport Wireless card in my PB, and my home network uses a Motorola Router connected to a PC. I really want to configure BitTorrent to be as fast as I can make it so that I can get some legal d/ls off of some of the great torrent sites you guys have listed.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

something you may not be paying attention to that needs attention is that when you download the torrent file, it usually says how many seeders and leechers there are. seeders are people sending it to you. the more there are, the faster it usually goes. and if there aren't many, it is slower most of the time. also, huge files will take longer. what are your average speeds?
QUOTE Thanks
amendolair

my speeds are generally around 4.4 KiB/s
QUOTE Thanks
jessica

You're lucky. I've never connected to any seeders on BT.
I've resorted to good old fashion purchasing of products.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by amendolair
my speeds are generally around 4.4 KiB/s
That is not too uncommon if there aren't more than 10 seeders

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-

you can always help speed things up if you're behind a router by forwarding ports 6881-6889 (for majority of trackers) to your local IP.

QUOTE Thanks
amendolair

thats exactly where I get stuck though. when it comes to routers, and IPs, and the whole port forwarding thing, I am completely lost! I tried the www.portforward.com tutorial about 5 times tonight and I just do not understand how to do it at all.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

I'm not sure this makes a difference, but thats for os x jaguar 10.2.x, and may differ in panther.
QUOTE Thanks
amendolair

then which bt client would you suggest? i saw in another thread that tomato torrent was another good option (recommended by you i believe), but i tried that and it keeps 'unexpectedly quitting'.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

What kind of router do you have?

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by amendolair
then which bt client would you suggest? i saw in another thread that tomato torrent was another good option (recommended by you i believe), but i tried that and it keeps 'unexpectedly quitting'.
yea, tomato torrent is good, sorta buggy, and each torrent has its own window.
I stuck with the orignial bit torrent app after the last TT update.
QUOTE Thanks
amendolair

yea i even tried azureus, but thats when the whole port forwarding mess came about. and i have a motorola wr850g router.
QUOTE Thanks
ocie

use azureus and just set the incoming TCP listen port to XXXX (XXXX being a number you choose)

then get your router manual and look up how to set up port forwarding
QUOTE Thanks
möbius

I use azureus, and turned on UPnP on my router. That way my router advertises that it is UPnP, and then Azureus responds and says open up port XXXX, which is the port that I opened out. You want to pick a port above 1024, because those ports are all reserved. It is goot to not pick a commonly used bt port either, because some isps will block traffic to those ports.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

a new version of the original bit torrent app was just released a few days ago, I have been using it and its great, much better than the old one, all downloads actually go now, and faster too, and its less of a processor hog than the old one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Programs Stay Open, Even After You X Them Out? | PocketPC vs Palm for a Mac? »