New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buy now? or wait?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DTG

DTG is on a distinguished road

Ok so this is my first post on the mac forums and I have a few questions

First off, as most people in my generation I am a PC user, but I know the pros and cons of owning a mac or switching to a mac.

I am a senior in college and a lot of employers require the ability to use a mac and pc in my field. I also believe that apple's market share can only grow in the future and in the next generation(s) the mac user-base can only increase.

So I have decided to buy a macbook pro to replace my thinkpad to serve 2 purposes, 1. to learn the mac world and 2. just to try something new.

So to my question(s):

Is now the right time to buy a macbook pro? or should I wait till 9/9/09 for the keynote? (the reason I ask is because the "deal" for a free ipod touch ends 9/8, but I don't want to order a macbook and the next day have a new refreshed hardware line popup)

Are the 3rd party programs like parallel and vmware suitable to run windows games in? or would I be better off using bootcamp?

Does anyone have monitor specs for the macbook pro 17inch's screen? (refresh rate/brightness etc...)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTG View Post
Is now the right time to buy a macbook pro? or should I wait till 9/9/09 for the keynote? (the reason I ask is because the "deal" for a free ipod touch ends 9/8, but I don't want to order a macbook and the next day have a new refreshed hardware line popup)

Are the 3rd party programs like parallel and vmware suitable to run windows games in? or would I be better off using bootcamp?
If the machine works for you now, what does it matter if there was a refresh? The event on Sept. 9 is expected to be about the iPod anyway as alluded to by the tag line, "It's only rock and roll, but we like it.". See here.

For games, you don't really have a choice - you have to use Boot Camp to run games.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
DTG

Yeah I hear that the 9/9 event is about a new ipod touch and not so focused on the macbook line, but I like having the newest stuff out lol.

I'm curious to why the deal ends a day before the event. It could just be because a new ipod touch line is being introduced but it could also be that they are going to refresh the macbook line in some way.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTG View Post
I would say that the fact that the iPod touch deal ending on 9/8/09 & the "keynote" on 9/9/09 is not coincidental!!

But like you said...the keynote may only be iPod focused & and not related to any new computer hardware. But who knows sometimes.

My thought back to you is...what's more important...a new latest & greatest computer or an iPod?

- If you buy now you get a currently selling laptop & free iPod Touch.
- If you wait till 9/9/09...if there is a new computer hardware announcement ...no free iPod, but then you get the option of buying the "next" latest & greatest Apple Computer...which may or may not be immediately available for sale...or feature-wise may not be better!
- if there is a new computer hardware announcement...that could also mean some nice discounts on the older stuff.

Roll the dice...and see what happens!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
DTG

Well I have an Iphone but a free ipod touch isnt a bad thing lol.

The scenario im worried about is them yanking the deal and not releasing new hardware or updates to the macbook line.

But I think I am gonna wait to get screwed lol.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Do you want a free iPod only to find out they've improved it in some way?

It's probably unlikely they'll do anything with the Macbook, because it's pretty perfect as it is, and it was updated in June. I know because that's when I bought mine and I've rolled the Apple dice several times that came up snake eyes. Bought a mini and 3 months later they added more RAM, faster proc and built in wireless/bluetooth. My wife rolled a 7 for that one. Bought a Macbook second gen and a few months later they got LED screens, faster procs, and a chipset that allowed double the RAM of what mine could do. Both my wife and I rolled snake eyes on that one. Oh well.

Next roll was a seven since I got a new Macbook right after Apple stuffed a bunch of goodies in it, like backlit keyboard, this brilliant trackpad, put back firewire (and 800 at that!), the aluminum unibody, an SD slot and called it a 'Pro'. Wife likes hers just fine as is, so no dice throw for her this time.

Whattya say? Wanna play the Apple Dice Game? It's fun if you have enough cash to throw around, even if you lose. You still get a great computer.
QUOTE Thanks
spicolli1976

spicolli1976 is on a distinguished road

Wait..... Are you saying that since I bought a MacBook Pro on 8/30/09, I get a free iPod touch? This is the first I have heard of it. What do I need to do to get my iPod?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolli1976 View Post
Wait..... Are you saying that since I bought a MacBook Pro on 8/30/09, I get a free iPod touch? This is the first I have heard of it. What do I need to do to get my iPod?

Thanks
You're kidding right! This deal I believe is for the "educational" market only:

Back to School: Buy a Mac, get free iPod touch - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
Whattya say? Wanna play the Apple Dice Game? It's fun if you have enough cash to throw around, even if you lose. You still get a great computer.
Great answer dude...I like it!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
spicolli1976

Thanks for the info. This was the first I had heard of it, so I wasn't kidding.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks for the info. This was the first I had heard of it, so I wasn't kidding.
Are you a student or in the education area?...if so...good that you stopped in!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
spicolli1976

I am only a student of life now. No more formal schooling.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I am only a student of life now. No more formal schooling.
Well then...also no free iPod!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

In the technology world, if you're always waiting for the next update, you'll be waiting forever.

Buy the machine you need when you need it and it will continue to serve those needs long after the next generation model is eclipsed.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
JuanGuapo

JuanGuapo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB

Buy now, why wait?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Got iTunes moved over! | File viewing options in Finder »