New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Most Efficent For Media.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VIPeR

VIPeR is on a distinguished road

Ok, it's one of the days we all hate!
Phoning your manager to tell him/her the dreaded
"I am sick" line. - which I am.

So since I have the joys of my bed, and feeling sorry for myself All day,
I have a question.
Using the new 17" unibody MBP with potentially 8+ hours in ideal conditions
which method would yield better battery life for media?
Media- in my situation is hundred of DVDs (movies, tv series) an all stored digitally on my PC.

Playing straight from DVD?
Streaming iTunes media from my PC to Mac?
loading AVI media to HDD?
Playing AVI media from USB pen drive?

Any thoughts? VIPeR
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

A pen drive has no moving parts, and USB in general can't demand much power, so I'd personally say USB key.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I'd have to agree with S.SubZero here.

Straight from DVD will be terrible as now you're driving the DVD player which will most definitely absorb more power then a thumb drive.

Streaming would be nice, but network activity usually causes a power drain, and unless you plan to drape a cable over your bed, I'd assume you were planning wireless which will tend to drain a battery faster

AVI from HDD - well, unless you have a SSD for your main storage, your hard drive will consume more power then the thumb drive. If your HD can sleep while you're playing a movie, you'd get better battery life as you won't be wasting power on the motors of the HD

So, it would appear the best option left is the thumb drive. Of course, the negative is if your movies are large, you won't be able to fit a lot on the thumb drive, which would require a lot of up/down. While you're sick it may be worth the loss in battery life and use wifi to stream the video from your pc where it is all stored, and when the time comes plug into AC - all of course depending on the size and quantity of videos you want to have access to.

This is, of course, completely ignoring the thought of having internet access, which then if you're already using the wifi, the extra drain of the constant stream of the video might not be as big of an effect.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

If you don't have an SSD as your internal HD, you could use an ExpressCard SSD (on the 17" or older 15") or an SD Card (on the newer 15" and 13") as your boot and media storage volume. That would be the next best thing to an internal SSD hard disk, better than using a USB flash stick.

A 16GB ExpressCard SSD is about $85.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Managing USB sync with folders in my itunes library | website favorites »