New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Why is my brother's mini shipping from China?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

donnation25

donnation25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive

Why would it be coming from China? He ordered it on the 21st with a superdrive and built in bluetooth but it says its coming from China on the fedex tracking. Aren't these supposed to be coming from California????
QUOTE Thanks
crazycanadian

When I ordered mine, it came from Shenzhen, China. It got it within 3 days of shipment. I also customized mine as well with 512 and airport, so I'd expect it to come from the same place.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

All Apple desktop models are currently manufactured in China, and ship directly from the factory to the customer (or reseller, as the case may be.)

I belive some iPod and laptop models are made in Taiwan. They used to be, anyway.

The wireless keyboard and mouse are made in Malaysia.

Software CDs are pressed in the US (or Canada, maybe) and are boxed in the US.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

My 17" Powerbook also shipped from somewhere in Asia, I forget where exactly. I ordered it standard (it's far cheaper to by added memory elsewhere).
QUOTE Thanks
crazycanadian

i now realize adding ram myself would have been cheaper, but at the time of ordering, i was nervous of opening the mini myself....paid the price
QUOTE Thanks
iLEFTOVERCRACK

iLEFTOVERCRACK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb

so they lie when it says from californa usa on the box?
basterds
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLEFTOVERCRACK
so they lie when it says from californa usa on the box?
basterds
It says Designed in California

Almost everything ships from Shanghai China

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
jessica

that is right, the box says DESIGNED in CA. Not made, shipped, etc from CA. It is cheaper this way for apple which means same price to you and me, but more cash to apple.

As long as they keep supplying a product that is nearly flawless, I don't complain.
I wouldn't put up with this from dell or any other PC maker.
QUOTE Thanks
donnation25

donnation25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive

Thanks for the replies. I checked his tracking number again this morning and it is scheduled to be delivered today. Thanks again, Donnie
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica
that is right, the box says DESIGNED in CA. Not made, shipped, etc from CA. It is cheaper this way for apple which means same price to you and me, but more cash to apple.

As long as they keep supplying a product that is nearly flawless, I don't complain.
I wouldn't put up with this from dell or any other PC maker.
HP does it as well (ships CTO laptops direct from the manufacturer in China). Frankly, there aren't any laptops currently being made in the USA. They are all made by Asian companies. The Mini is made by Hon Hai Precision, which also makes things for Sony and HP.

And in reality, when it comes to laptops, I believe most dell laptops and most apple laptops are made by the same company (Quanta). So not only are the manufacturing quality standards the same, they are mostly made of the same components.

And isn't it nice to know that your nice shiny new Apple or HP or Dell was never actually touched by someone working for the company that you "bought" it from?
QUOTE Thanks
untoastytoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanadian
i now realize adding ram myself would have been cheaper, but at the time of ordering, i was nervous of opening the mini myself....paid the price
How much ram did you upgrade to? If you upgraded to 1 gig, apple raped you on the pricing
QUOTE Thanks
Thud

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnation25
Why would it be coming from China? He ordered it on the 21st with a superdrive and built in bluetooth but it says its coming from China on the fedex tracking. Aren't these supposed to be coming from California????

When you open the box, the wrapper clearly says Designed by Apple in California.

Yes, designed in California.

The design was then sent to a sweatshop in China for production.... like all computers and electronics these days. Since all the individual components are made in China to begin with, doesn't it make sense to assemble the whole computer there?

I don't know of any computer manufacturer that actually has production facilities in the US anymore... unfortunately.

I bet you didn't know that Apple powerbooks/ibooks are made by the very same company that makes Dell, HP, and Gateway notebooks, did you? (Quanta Computer). Same quality control and everything.

At least the operating system and most of the software was developed in America.
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828
So not only are the manufacturing quality standards the same...
This is not entirely true. Two products being built in the same plant is not an indication that those two different products will share 'manufacturing quality standards.' In most insances the build standards are dictated by the specifications and designs sent down by the designers/engineers. My company, for example, owns several back-up alarm patents/designs which he have manufactured for us overseas (asia). I know of two competing back-up alarm companies that also have their products made in the same plants as ours that vary a great deal in thier build quality and materials because that is what is in their spec sheets. The same factory builds all of our products, but they charge us varying amounts depending on how demanding we are with the build quality and tolerances and on what we choose as our materials. Go look at the average HP laptop and the average PowerBook and tell me they share the same build quality and material quality. They don't. Internal components are another matter.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
crazycanadian

"How much ram did you upgrade to? If you upgraded to 1 gig, apple raped you on the pricing" posted by untoastytoast

i upgraded to 512 and with my student discount it only cost 67 bucks. the 1 gb stick was a little too expensive for my needs.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

I really hate to say this, but I think quality is better on many electronics made out of the United States. Yes, the employees over in Asia are getting paid less, but I think quality is a definite improvement over what the US does.

Having had the oportunity to "open up" many different laptops, I can safely say that Apple products, expecially Powerbooks, seem to have higher quality components than most other companies.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A change of heart! | Help me make my decision. »