New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Why not an eMac???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

donnation25

donnation25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive

I am a recent total convert to Mac. I bought an iMac G5 and loved it so much I ditched my notebook and bought a 12" powerbook to go along with it. I have a question though. I would like my wife to also start using Macs. Right now she has an HP desktop and I would like to get her a Mac immediately. She really only uses her computer for web browsing, chatting, storing pictures, and some occasional video editing. Would an eMac be an appropriate choice for her? She doesn't need anything too powerful and the eMac seems to be a good fit for her. What do you all think?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

I'd second that or a Mac mini - but the eMac comes with a monitor built in
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

id go for the mac mini. just because you can get a good monitor later on. and upgrade monitors. then you dont have to use a crappy 17" crt. its better getitng a 1.42 GHz mac mini with an LCD than getting a 1.25GHz eMac for 100-150$ less.

just what i think.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

the emac wont be a bad idea...but you could always pick up a mini for the same price if you use her old keyboard and mouse and find an lcd for cheap somewhere (wait for a sale or soemthing) or use her monitor if it is decent

-chris
QUOTE Thanks
FishStickBoy

Both the emac and the mini are great computers. But the emac is a little bit faster, because of the hardrive, but I don't care for the built in CRT monitor. And the mini can be dificult to upgrade (ram, hardrive) but is much smaller and gives you more options for monitors, keyboards and mouse.

But for the price you can't complain about either.
QUOTE Thanks
iDVFH.

Why don't you be the cool husband and get her an iBook G4 (=
QUOTE Thanks
mcsenerd

mcsenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD

If you decide to get an emac though...why don't you wait just a bit and see if they really do update them a bit soon like several websites have been speculating.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

I love my eMac,
Comparing it to the mini the eMac as 3 USB (mini 2) 2 Firewire (mini 1) Video out (NA) Audio In (NA). I also prefer the eMac's tray loading CD/DVD.
It's smaller than my old 17" CRT Windows display too.
just my $0.02s :-)

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The eMac is a nice complete package, but I'd also prefer a nice LCD monitor over a CRT anyday...

I think she'd also appreciate it more as it'll feel more 'modern' and she won't feel as though she's getting a second rate computer AND a new and strange OS all at once...
QUOTE Thanks
Echo_

i doubt they will update emacs
QUOTE Thanks
iLEFTOVERCRACK

iLEFTOVERCRACK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo_
i doubt they will update emacs
yea me too
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

If she still wants to continue using her HP desktop, you could always get a KVM switch to share your monitor, keyboard and mouse if you decide to go for the Mac Mini. I would probably do that since it's so small and will save a lot of space. Plus it looks cute too!
QUOTE Thanks
warrenbert

I think the future of emacs is dead. CRTs just aren't in demand anymore and they use a lot more power than an LCD. 17" LCDs can be found for as little as $200.

Why must she switch? If she's happy with a PC, let her be. Most Mac users have at least one PC around the house too. They can live in the same household, plus it gives you versatility should you need some software or hardware compatibility down the road.

Computing should be practical, not religious. Save your money.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

I got a 17" LCD from Circuit City for $150 last x-mas. It was on sale, and I haggled on pricce some, but its a LiquidVideo or something like that (I'm not at home right now), the sales guy said they are made by like Samsung or something for Circuit City, and are just put under the LiquidVideo name. Its really a nice screen, and has been a great buy for me. A mac mini with say give $200 for a 17" monitor could be a good buy.
QUOTE Thanks
donnation25

donnation25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive

Thanks for all of the help you guys. The real reason I want to get her a mac is because she loves mine so much and she would love to have one too. I think I might just get her another iMac G5 17". She really likes mine and I would love to see the look on her face if she came home and saw it set up on her desk. Thanks again, this forum is awesome and you all are awesome.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can i use my sony dvd writer with mac mini? | The story of the switcher to be... »