New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I bought a tv show via iTunes and want to watch it on my tv not my 13 inch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

expatgirl

expatgirl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: The New Macbook

Hi I bought a TV show via Itunes which is in the m4v format.
However I would like to watch the tv show via my dvd player.

How can I burn this to a dvd? Is it even possible? I belive my dvd player does have divix if that helps.

Also how can I hook up my mac directly to my tv screen? Is it possible?

Thanks so much
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

you cannot burn that TV show to disk, since it is copy protected

you can connect the mac up to the TV, but we will need to know the model of mac and year, as well as what inputs the TV has

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
eulipion

eulipion is on a distinguished road

One option is to buy Apple TV.

How you s'posed to learn anything if you don't ask?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

The only way to watch it on the TV is through an Apple device. Whether it be your Macbook, Apple TV, or via an iPod Classic. All 3 connect in different ways, so it depends on your choice, but in my opinion the iPod classic is the easiest with a 3.5mm to rca audio/video plug. I got mine from an actual Apple Store years ago, but can't seem to find any in the online store right now. A simple google search should help if you choose to go that route.
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

If you have an S-Video port, I believe most TVs do, so you can buy an S-Video cord. However, I don't think the Intel Macs have S-video. Mine doesn't.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
expatgirl

HI, Ok i have the new aluminum body mac book and I have attached photos of my TV. I did go to one store and they had some small cable, like 3 inches and cost about $30 and seemed to have to connect to another cable. I am hoping to go a different route and did not understand that and they didn't speak English well enough to explain it (and I don't speak Thai .. my fault)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9081054.jpg (80.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg P9081056.jpg (41.8 KB, 19 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

You will need two cables. One for video and one for audio.

You'll need a Mini-Display to HDMI cable going from the Macbook's Mini-Display port to one of the HDMI ports on the back of the TV. Then you'll need a stereo audio cable going from the Macbook's headphone jack to the red and white (right and left) DVI In sockets. Make sure you select the correct inputs from your TV's menu and you'll be good to go.
QUOTE Thanks
expatgirl

Thanks for the reply, this is what they try to sell me in the store here.

but are you saying I need this and another cable? And how is this supposed to reach from the mac book to the TV?

Sorry but I am really confused.

I did a search of Mini-Display to HDMI after your post and found this website
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! where the items are cheaper.

Thanks for all the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg M9320.jpeg (3.0 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

The product at that first link is a mini display port ADAPTER. You need the actual cord as well.

Here is a link to everything you'll need, and it's only $26.99 for the whole thing if you can order it from Amazon. If not, print this out and bring it to the store so you can show them what you need:

Amazon.com: Apple Macbook / Macbook Pro / Macbook Air / iMac Mini Display Port (DisplayPort) to DVI Adapter w/ 6 Foot Male to Male Dvi to HDMI Cable, and a Auxiliary (AUX) 3.5mm to 3.5mm 6 Foot Cable: Everything Else

The smaller end of the short white adapter goes into the Mini-Display port on your Macbook. The wide flat DVI end of the black DVI-to-HDMI cable plugs into the wide flat part of the white adapter. Then the smaller end of the black cable goes into the HDMI port on the back of your TV.

Video and audio are not carried together in the same wire. So there is a skinny cord that has two plugs at each end that look like the plug on a pair of headphones. One end goes into the headphone jack on the Macbook, the other goes into the Audio input on your TV.

Actually, you could also get an RCA cable like this one

Amazon.com: Stereo 1/8" (3.5mm) Male to 2 RCA Male Audio Cable iPod Compatible (6 FT.): Everything Else

Then you can plug the red and white (left and right) plugs into the red and white audio inputs labelled "DVI In (HDMI 2)" on your TV.

In short, it goes like this

Macbook>Mini-Display adapter>DVI to HDMI cable>TV
then,
Macbook>Audio cable>TV

So actually, all together you need three things: the adapter, the video cable and the audio cable.
QUOTE Thanks
expatgirl

Photos!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The RCA Cable is so so much cheaper. What is the advantage of the RCA over the DVI to HDMI?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yes, if you want to order, monoprice will be the cheapest place to get them.

You will need one of these, the first 4 cables listed in the length you want to get the video signal to your TV and it will plug into the HDMI 2 port. These have the adapter and cable built into one.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

You will also need an RCA cable as shown in oneironaut's link to get the sound on your TV. At monoprice.com, it will be called a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable as these:

Audio Cables - RCA / 3.5mm

Note: monoprice is the only place you can get that video cable that I am aware of. Any where else, you will need two pieces for video: the adapter; mini-displayport to DVI and the cable; dvi to hdmi.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Photos!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The RCA Cable is so so much cheaper. What is the advantage of the RCA over the DVI to HDMI?
A vast difference in display quality.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
expatgirl

Oh thank you everyone!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Expat girl, the RCA cable is for AUDIO ONLY.

You still need the DVI-to-HDMI cable and the adapter for the VIDEO signal (or just a mini-display to HDMI cable). Note: HDMI cables do carry audio that will come out through your TV speakers. You'd only need an RCA audio cable if you want all the audio from your computer to come through a speaker system, like if you want to listen to iTunes through a stereo receiver or if you want to listen to movies in Surround Sound.

You do have an RCA jack on your TV for audio and video together, but I don't think there is that kind of cable that also connects to a Mini-Display port. RCA is really old technology and Mini display/DVI/HDMI is very new. (Also, you already have something plugged into your A/V RCA jack, so not only would the quality be worse, you'd also have to keep plugging and unplugging whatever you felt like using.)

There is no picture in the link that bobtomay provided, but it's basically the same mini display cable set I described, just with the HDMI end already on it so you wouldn't need the DVI adapter.

Bascially, if you go to an electronics store, just tell them you need a mini-display to HDMI connection whether it's one cable or some other kind of mini-display cable with an appropriate adapter. You also have a regular VGA computer monitor jack in your TV (labeled "PC") if you need to settle for a mini-display to VGA cable. Then tell them you need an RCA audio cable that can plug into a regular headphone jack on one end (if you want all your computer's audio to come through a speaker system that is.)
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

And just for your own benefit, you might want to familiarize yourself with some of the basic kinds of TV/computer monitor connections.

Most computers up until recently used VGA connections. Almost all standard PC's have used them with their monitors, and they only carry video. They're kind of oblong, like this:

A DVI cable also only carries video, is wider and flatter, has three rows of prongs and a slightly longer flat prong, like this:

HDMI is one of the newest video technologies and carries audio as well as video. Its connection is smaller and flatter than either VGA or DVI, and it looks like this:

Mini-display is a VERY new technology that has been on all new Macbooks, so often to plug into a VGA, DVI or HDMI monitor or TV, you need an adapter for those kinds of cables.

You can see on the back of your TV that you have one VGA connection, two HDMI connections, and no DVI connections. (The VGA is labeled "PC" because most PC monitors have been VGA.) So you know that one end of any cable you use must be either VGA or HDMI.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« set up my mac to print to a windows machine | Mac won't connect with my HD TV »