New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Where is my website address?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jordan

Hello all,

I just made a simple website and put it in my "sites" directory and labelled it index.html. Then, I went to the sharing directory under the preferences panel and turned web sharing on. It is my understanding that I should be able to see the address where my website can be found on the web.

All I get though, is this: http://localhost/~Jordan/

Could this be a result of my landlord and his overly protective port blocking on the router? Or am I just missing something?

I really need to get my website on the net so I can sublet my apartment. Hey, anyone interested in taking over my flat in Bonn, Germany May 1st?

Cheers,

jordan
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

you have to forward port 80 to your local IP from the router. then your address will be your external IP (you can find here)

QUOTE Thanks
nicklwj

nicklwj is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

argh...i've run into a lot of problems using wordpress. now that ive finally managed to do everything theyve asked of me i just cant put it on the net. what is localhost.local? how do you forward to port 80?!

nicklwj@gmail.com|Ugliness Shall Not Be Tolerated...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

www.portforward.com

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Merlinblack

However if his landlord (like he said in his post) is over protecting the ports chances are he:
a) won't be able to get into the router interface to forward
b) won't be able to get his landlord to forward for him

Just my 2 cents, you're going to need access to the router and the ports to be able to hit your webpage from the internet.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinblack
However if his landlord (like he said in his post) is over protecting the ports chances are he:
a) won't be able to get into the router interface to forward
b) won't be able to get his landlord to forward for him

Just my 2 cents, you're going to need access to the router and the ports to be able to hit your webpage from the internet.
Well, hopefully he found a solution by now...seeing that the OP posted this almost 6 months ago :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Merlinblack

DOH! never looked at that :p
QUOTE Thanks
nicklwj

nicklwj is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Alright...how do you open port 80?

nicklwj@gmail.com|Ugliness Shall Not Be Tolerated...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

go to the site i posted above and it gives instructions for all router brands

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Eye Tv | How Do I Convert An Avi File And Burn It Onto A Dvd To Play On Any Dvd Player »