New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Time Machine Drive Partition, Booting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gadje

gadje is on a distinguished road

I'm waiting for my new MacBook Pro to arrive, and also looking at external hard drives. Having never used a Mac properly before (nor ever properly backed up files) I'd like some advice as to the best way to go about doing this.

What I'm planning to do is buy a 1TB Seagate FreeAgent Desk for Mac, and partition that into two 500GB volumes - one for Time Machine, and one for things I haven't quite thought of yet.

I know you can't boot from a Time Machine backup, so what I was thinking of doing was copying an image of the Snow Leopard install disc onto the Time Machine partition before putting backup data on it, and then letting Time Machine do its thing in the remaining 480GB or whatever it is. Will this work?

(Also, I'm aware of the existence of SuperDuper! and CarbonCopyCloner, but a) don't really want to pay 20 for functionality I could get for free, and b) I dislike having two (or more) programs which do the same thing on my computer - it seems a dreadful waste of space to me. Of course, if the only way to get a bootable external volume is to use CCC, I will begrudgingly do so.)

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

In order for your idea to work, you would have to install Snow Leopard to the external drive. Assuming you partitioned it as two partitions, install Snow Leopard to the first partition. Reserve the second partition for Time Machine backups. The drive of course has to be formatted to HFS+.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
nictan

nictan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD

superduper is free when it comes to cloning your HD.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nictan View Post
SuperDuper is not free. A free trial exists which can be used but is limited in what it will do. Carbon Copy Cloner which is a similar product is donation ware.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nictan View Post
and SuperDuper does cloning and bootable back ups - not the same thing.
QUOTE Thanks
gadje

gadje is on a distinguished road

Like I said, if I'm going to get one of CCC and SuperDuper, I'd rather get CCC as it offers (or so I have been led to believe) all the functionality of SuperDuper, but for free.

Can I browse files in backups from CCC as one can with Time Machine backups?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadje View Post
Like I said, if I'm going to get one of CCC and SuperDuper, I'd rather get CCC as it offers (or so I have been led to believe) all the functionality of SuperDuper, but for free.

Can I browse files in backups from CCC as one can with Time Machine backups?
Although Carbon Copy Cloner does exactly the same thing as SuperDuper (and is actually rated better than SuperDuper by MacWorld) it isn't "FreeWare". It's what's known as "donation ware". In other words, you send the author a donation of what you think it's worth.

And yes, you can browse individual files and folders from the clone backup that CCC makes. Browsing and extracting files from a CCC backup is easier than Time Machine. The difference being that CCC only keeps the latest file or folder you backed up whereas Time Machine keeps as many copies as it has room for.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with External Hardrive | Keep the Dock on the bottom »