New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Thinking of switching...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

freychris424

freychris424 is on a distinguished road

Long time Mac hater here, but I've had numerous friends switch that love their Mac and I'm getting pretty sick of my computer randomly freezing up.

However, there are a couple questions I have and was wondering if this community would help...

-Whats the deal with no blu-ray support? Is the next OS going to support it? I have a blu-ray external drive I use with my PC and would like to use it with my Mac.

-I have versions of PowerPoint and Dreamweaver and Flash, will those PC serial numbers work with my Mac?

-I'm thinking of getting a mini-mac and want to install the RAM myself and save lots of money, but they told me this invalidates the warranty. Is that really a big deal? The warranty only lasts a year anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

1. Blu-ray is a type of DVD. Are you thinking of Bluetooth. I believe some of the older G4s don't support that, but any intel machine should.

2. ?

3. Yes and no. Apple machines, in all their glory can have a couple of bumps at the beginning of the road, small problems that need fixing. That will happen on any machine; Mac, Dell, HP, IBM, etc. So, I would suggest waiting a while before installing ram (a month or two) so if there is a problem it's covered by the warranty.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
freychris424

freychris424 is on a distinguished road

My bad, I should have said commercial blu-ray DVDs that you get at netflix or blockbuster.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

So you do mean the DVD, not a hard drive? Hmm. Don't know about that one. Hold on, I'll do some quick googling. However, if they are not supported it's the hardware, not the software.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

Alright, did a quick search and as far as I can tell: no. Macs do not support blue-ray DVD's yet. It would require a different type of player, and I believe it would make it impossible to read normal disks, wouldn't it?

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Question 2

You will need to buy Office for Mac for powerpoint, or use the (superior in my view) Apple Keynote, or use Open Office as a free alternative to MS Office

For Adobe apps, you can cross grade at minimal cost, contact Adobe

Quote:
Adobe will allow you to perform a cross-grade, or cross-platform upgrade, of your Adobe product, assuming it meets the upgrade qualifications and provided you send them a signed Letter of Software Destruction. The Letter of Destruction states that you agree to delete all copies of the product you are exchanging and also that you will not "sell, transfer, give away, donate, or otherwise distribute the exchanged Adobe product or copies to anyone else."

You will still need to pay the upgrade cost, and you will need to conduct the purchase via telephone by calling Adobe Sales at 1-800-833-6687 (see Adobe.com for international numbers). The Letter of Software Destruction may be faxed, e-mailed, or snail-mailed to Adobe.

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

Yeah, Keynote is definitely better and easier to use.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Downloading iLife... not shipping | Parental controls on firefox. »