New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Macbook Pro Missing ~15 GB Hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HanSpen

HanSpen is on a distinguished road

Hi, I recently bought a new 13" MBP that came with 160GB. After adding my documents, pictures, and music from my old ibook G4 to the MBP, I noticed there was some "available GB" missing. I added up my GB used and there is about 15 GB total that I cannot account for. Here is what I can account for:

Personal Folder: 2.5 GB
Applications: 4.21 GB
Library: 7.34 GB
System: 4.28 GB
Users: 29.68 GB

Total used: 48
Available GB: 96.03
Missing: 16
Stock: 160

Any idea where the 16 GB are, or if this is normal, or a problem? Thanks very much for any help you can offer.
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

Hard-Drive Capacity Math: Tech Clinic - Popular Mechanics
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Hi!

Welcome to the forums!
First thing to discuss is had drive sizes. HD manufacturers reports sizes based on actual amount of bytes, so if for a simple example, if a hard drive specified it stored 1K (for simplicities sake), it would store 1000 bytes. Software and computers relate the size of a drive based upon a power of 2, ie: 1024 bytes = 1K, so the software would say the drive is smaller then the box just because of a conversion factor. As a simple example - my hard drive is a "250 Gig HD" in my macbook. Disk Utilities shows me the total capacity in both raw bytes (250,059,350,016) and the equivalent Gigabytes (232.9) I've not lost anything, it's just a difference in representation. It'd be nice if the HD manufacturers followed base 2 convention since that is how computers display the size of drives - but they tend to like to make the HD look as big as possible, even if it isn't reported that big because of the conversion to base 2

Now the other factors that take place:

1) When you format a drive, some of it is lost in the formatting process to reserved space. The amount of reserved space is dependent on the filesystem used (since NTFS reserves space differently then Linux EXT or OSXs HFS+).

2) What you see to add up is not necessarily all there is - especially if you're pulling those numbers from the finder. The finder hides a lot of system files that Apple has deemed as not to be touched areas so they don't show them to you.

It doesn't sound like you're missing any real space.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
HanSpen

HanSpen is on a distinguished road

Nethfel, thanks very much for taking the time to explain that!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Azureus files don't show in External HD | Customizing Buttons »