New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Gaming in Windows via bootcamp- STALKER

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Future Mac 88

Future Mac 88 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys I am using a 24inch iMac with a 3.06ghz processor, HD4850 GFX card, 4GB ram, etc etc.
I have windows (yuck) xp installed bootcamp, and Ive tried installing stalker shadow of chernobyl on the partition, and it installs fine but wont load. Ive heard all these horror stories that it refuses to load because of outdated drivers etc, and since im running bootcamp I cant update drivers for my hardware since its done via the OSX app CD you get with the machine, so what do I do?

Ive searched for remedies online and they dont have any indication of what to do if using bootcamp, if that will actually be an issue at all. Any ideas guys?

I paid 30 GBP for the game and the manager wont let me take it back as its a pc game .
QUOTE Thanks
DragonLance

DragonLance is an unknown at this point

since you say "installing on the partition" it sounds like you tried to do this outside windows?
Load windows and instal from there if you didn't: make sure you installed the drivers from the apple CD (making sure you have all the updates). If you haven't got the CD, you need it, unless it's available for downloading somewhere :S .
The game also needs to be XP compatible etc.

Waiting for the game that takes full advantage of a 124bit, 3.5GHz, 8-core, 64Gig-RAM system.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

You need to download the latest drivers and use Mobility Modder to convert them.

Link: NVIDIA Mobility Modder - DriverHeaven.net
QUOTE Thanks
DriftNismo

DriftNismo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs:  13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold

Either way, XP seems to have a lot of problems when it comes to using it with bootcamp. If nothing else works, just install Windows 7 RC1; that has drivers for pretty much everything and I've been gaming on it for a few months now.

 13" MacBook Air | 1.8Ghz i7 | 4GB | 256GB SSD | OS X 10.9.5 
 iPhone 5S | Gold | 32GB 
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Seems like a lot of unnecessary work especially since the "Modder" will not run without first installing Microsoft Net Frame.

To the OP:

You can try downloading the Boot Camp 2.1 update from Apple as that contains later drivers than the original BC 2.0. Note, BC 2.1 is a Windows executable file and must be run from within Windows.

Or:

Just boot into Windows XP and go to the nVidia site and download their latest driver set for your graphics chipset. Install them from within Windows. If that doesn't work, you can try the "Modder" thing.

Let us know.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Future Mac 88

Hey guys. To the First Poster: Sorry I wasnt very clear, I meant I installed it within windows, not on the partition from the Mac OS. I cant use the FAT file sharing system as Im using over 50gb.

I downloaded Boot Camp 2.1 and it worked! The game runs, I'm getting great FPS with all settings as high as possible except some things dont work as the patch isnt up to date. Considering its an old game, the graphics are pretty good, now I have computer powerful enough to run it.

However, the sound does not work. Grr. Any ideas?

2009 Alu iMac 24inch, 3.06ghz, 4gb Ram, 640gb HDD, ATI HD4850, iPhone 3G 16gb White, Bose Companion 3 Speaker System. Panasonic TH-42PZ81U TV, PS3, Xbox 360, Sky+ HD, SCPT560 5.1 Surround Sound System + Airport Express.Love airport express.Snow Leopard on its way! Preorder baby.
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

You can download the current nvidia drivers for your laptop card from nvidia.com - no modifications are needed when installing in Windows under Boot Camp.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccloud View Post
You can download the current nvidia drivers for your laptop card from nvidia.com - no modifications are needed when installing in Windows under Boot Camp.
The OP has an ATI chip, NOT nVidia (he stated he has an HD4850 GPU, which is ATI).

Do NOT get nVidia drivers and attempt to force them onto your system, and DO NOT get the nvidia modder program and attempt to use it to put an nvidia driver on your system that is using an ATI GPU. That same site does have an ATI version here:

Mobility Modder - DriverHeaven.net

I do not guarantee it will work, but you can try it if you need it.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Oops, yep misread that it was an nVidia card.

Mobility Modder for ATI works great though. It's the only way I can keep the drivers for my Radeon 2600 up to date.
QUOTE Thanks
Future Mac 88

Hey guys. Since updating to snow leopard, and using the driver CD in windows, the game works fine. I have sound, lovely graphics, and a fun iMac. Shame it has to be a fun iMac with a XP operating system, but oh well, thats gaming for you.

2009 Alu iMac 24inch, 3.06ghz, 4gb Ram, 640gb HDD, ATI HD4850, iPhone 3G 16gb White, Bose Companion 3 Speaker System. Panasonic TH-42PZ81U TV, PS3, Xbox 360, Sky+ HD, SCPT560 5.1 Surround Sound System + Airport Express.Love airport express.Snow Leopard on its way! Preorder baby.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Library and archive using itunes and external drive | Sharing Windows Vista files with Mac »