Gaming in Windows via bootcamp- STALKER
    Hey guys I am using a 24inch iMac with a 3.06ghz processor, HD4850 GFX card, 4GB ram, etc etc.
    I have windows (yuck) xp installed bootcamp, and Ive tried installing stalker shadow of chernobyl on the partition, and it installs fine but wont load. Ive heard all these horror stories that it refuses to load because of outdated drivers etc, and since im running bootcamp I cant update drivers for my hardware since its done via the OSX app CD you get with the machine, so what do I do?

Ive searched for remedies online and they dont have any indication of what to do if using bootcamp, if that will actually be an issue at all. Any ideas guys?

I paid 30 GBP for the game and the manager wont let me take it back as its a pc game .

since you say "installing on the partition" it sounds like you tried to do this outside windows?
    Load windows and instal from there if you didn't: make sure you installed the drivers from the apple CD (making sure you have all the updates). If you haven't got the CD, you need it, unless it's available for downloading somewhere :S .
    The game also needs to be XP compatible etc.
    Waiting for the game that takes full advantage of a 124bit, 3.5GHz, 8-core, 64Gig-RAM system.

Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    You need to download the latest drivers and use Mobility Modder to convert them.

Link: NVIDIA Mobility Modder - DriverHeaven.net

Specs:
     13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
    Either way, XP seems to have a lot of problems when it comes to using it with bootcamp. If nothing else works, just install Windows 7 RC1; that has drivers for pretty much everything and I've been gaming on it for a few months now.
     13" MacBook Air | 1.8Ghz i7 | 4GB | 256GB SSD | OS X 10.9.5 
     iPhone 5S | Gold | 32GB 

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Seems like a lot of unnecessary work especially since the "Modder" will not run without first installing Microsoft Net Frame.

To the OP:

You can try downloading the Boot Camp 2.1 update from Apple as that contains later drivers than the original BC 2.0. Note, BC 2.1 is a Windows executable file and must be run from within Windows.

Or:

Just boot into Windows XP and go to the nVidia site and download their latest driver set for your graphics chipset. Install them from within Windows. If that doesn't work, you can try the "Modder" thing.

Let us know.

Regards.

Hey guys. To the First Poster: Sorry I wasnt very clear, I meant I installed it within windows, not on the partition from the Mac OS. I cant use the FAT file sharing system as Im using over 50gb.

I downloaded Boot Camp 2.1 and it worked! The game runs, I'm getting great FPS with all settings as high as possible except some things dont work as the patch isnt up to date. Considering its an old game, the graphics are pretty good, now I have computer powerful enough to run it.

However, the sound does not work. Grr. Any ideas?
    2009 Alu iMac 24inch, 3.06ghz, 4gb Ram, 640gb HDD, ATI HD4850, iPhone 3G 16gb White, Bose Companion 3 Speaker System. Panasonic TH-42PZ81U TV, PS3, Xbox 360, Sky+ HD, SCPT560 5.1 Surround Sound System + Airport Express.Love airport express.Snow Leopard on its way! Preorder baby.

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    You can download the current nvidia drivers for your laptop card from nvidia.com - no modifications are needed when installing in Windows under Boot Camp.

Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccloud View Post
    You can download the current nvidia drivers for your laptop card from nvidia.com - no modifications are needed when installing in Windows under Boot Camp.
    The OP has an ATI chip, NOT nVidia (he stated he has an HD4850 GPU, which is ATI).

Do NOT get nVidia drivers and attempt to force them onto your system, and DO NOT get the nvidia modder program and attempt to use it to put an nvidia driver on your system that is using an ATI GPU. That same site does have an ATI version here:

Mobility Modder - DriverHeaven.net

I do not guarantee it will work, but you can try it if you need it.
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Oops, yep misread that it was an nVidia card.

Mobility Modder for ATI works great though. It's the only way I can keep the drivers for my Radeon 2600 up to date.

Hey guys. Since updating to snow leopard, and using the driver CD in windows, the game works fine. I have sound, lovely graphics, and a fun iMac. Shame it has to be a fun iMac with a XP operating system, but oh well, thats gaming for you.
    2009 Alu iMac 24inch, 3.06ghz, 4gb Ram, 640gb HDD, ATI HD4850, iPhone 3G 16gb White, Bose Companion 3 Speaker System. Panasonic TH-42PZ81U TV, PS3, Xbox 360, Sky+ HD, SCPT560 5.1 Surround Sound System + Airport Express.Love airport express.Snow Leopard on its way! Preorder baby.

Thread Information