Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Switching Soon!

  1. #1
    Switching Soon!

    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2009
    Posts
    21
    Exclamation Switching Soon!
    Hi my first post on Mac-Forums.
    I thought it would help to register with a Mac forum since I am switching next week an I got a few questions. (Sorry for long post)
    Ok so I have been using Windows PCs for almost 20years, the first piece of tecnology I got to grips with as a kid!
    So I am expecting a learning curve, but love challenges.
    Presently posting this thread on my iPhone 3Gs. Love them.

    I am deffinitly buying a MBP in either 15-17" versions, almost deffinitly 17"!
    I plan on using my Mac for media (Music/Dvds), light gaming, may put windows 7 on it, an office work.

    1. I am very experianced with MS Office 2003 (word, excel, PowerPoint)
    would you recommend office or iWork (Going to uni, an my collegue uses word 2003+2007)?

    2. iLife? Is the 2009 version included as standard, an is iPhoto good for basic manipulation of pictures, above an beyond what's stated on apples website? I am still very inexperianced in photo editing. Or is apeture advised?

    3. Is the Ram, Hard drive an Battery all changeable when needed?

    4. Any thing else you could advise a complete Mac noob?

    5. What size of Mac would you advise for my uses? No budget with good reason.
    I await your replys, in anticipation.
    With regards VIPeR

  2. #2
    Switching Soon!
    gagnerants's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 23, 2007
    Location
    Claremont, Ca
    Posts
    847
    Specs:
    iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPeR View Post
    1. I am very experianced with MS Office 2003 (word, excel, PowerPoint)
    would you recommend office or iWork (Going to uni, an my collegue uses word 2003+2007)?

    2. iLife? Is the 2009 version included as standard, an is iPhoto good for basic manipulation of pictures, above an beyond what's stated on apples website? I am still very inexperianced in photo editing. Or is apeture advised?

    3. Is the Ram, Hard drive an Battery all changeable when needed?

    4. Any thing else you could advise a complete Mac noob?

    5. What size of Mac would you advise for my uses? No budget with good reason.
    I await your replys, in anticipation.
    With regards VIPeR
    1)I would suggest either iWork, neoOffice, or OpenOffice.

    2)iPhoto would more than meet your needs, the iLife software is some basic applications to make your life easy.

    3) Yes they are, with some know how and a screw driver.

    4)Enjoy it, come here if you need help and check out open source projects for your mac.

    5) The 15" should go beyond your needs for school and every day use.

  3. #3
    Switching Soon!

    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2009
    Posts
    21
    Thanks for your quick reply and feed back.

    On the office packages, I looked up Neooffice, never knew it existed.
    I never did like Openoffice, but will give Neoffice ago since it's free, thanks.

    gagnerants, you recommend the 15", the reason I favour the 17" is it has all the specs "500GB hard drive, an Nvidia 9600" I would pay extra for in an upgraded 15" version, as standard.
    + the obvious increase in screen size @ 1900x1200, which I love!
    I have a Dell 2407wfp, that I use with my pc, an it supports same resolution, an will be using mac in conjunction to dell monitor.

    Lastly, Snow Lepard, is released Friday I believe, I am planning on buying my mac on 1st September, pay day! Will apple be supplying that as standard on all macs by then, or as am added option?

    Again any advice is appreciated. VIPeR

  4. #4
    todd51
    Guest
    Actually, I don't think you can swap out the battery. Isn't it built-in on the newer ones?

    Lastly, Snow Lepard, is released Friday I believe, I am planning on buying my mac on 1st September, pay day! Will apple be supplying that as standard on all macs by then, or as am added option?
    It may not be installed as the current OS, but you should get discs included in the box for Snow Leopard.

  5. #5
    Switching Soon!
    gagnerants's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 23, 2007
    Location
    Claremont, Ca
    Posts
    847
    Specs:
    iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
    Quote Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
    Actually, I don't think you can swap out the battery. Isn't it built-in on the newer ones?
    Linky for ever if something was to happen to the battery while under protection let them take care of it.

  6. #6
    Switching Soon!

    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2009
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by gagnerants View Post
    Linky for ever if something was to happen to the battery while under protection let them take care of it.
    Ohh dear god, I am no performing operations on that shinny toy!
    I thought with the latest revision there was handy release system on them?
    Or am I mistaken it for the 15" model?

    A few other questions have sprung to mind.

    1. Does mac os's have user accounts like windows?
    Like having accounts for me, an different members of my family?

    2. Any recommended assesories?
    I was thinking of a neocrom,? Cover an perhaps good head phones for music?

    3. Life wise?
    What I mean, I have my present pc for 3 years, an it has become underably slow with updates an stuff. (I keep it free of virus's an spyware)
    will simular happen to my mac, in your experiances? Even if properly maintained?

    4. The charger?
    How long is the cable from plug, to power brick, an then to the MagSafe connector? I wish to know because me bed is 2-3 meters from nearest socket!

    5. With present spec of 17" mac, an latest version of iTunes, suffer slow downs with a large iTunes libary.
    On my pc at present, 1400+ songs, 100+ movies, 80Gb of tv series.
    Total libary size 160Gb+, an getting bigger!
    will it cope? Or suffer slow downs?

    Again, I appreciate your input an advice.
    VIPeR

  7. #7
    Switching Soon!
    gagnerants's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 23, 2007
    Location
    Claremont, Ca
    Posts
    847
    Specs:
    iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPeR View Post
    1. Does mac os's have user accounts like windows?
    Like having accounts for me, an different members of my family?

    2. Any recommended assesories?
    I was thinking of a neocrom,? Cover an perhaps good head phones for music?

    3. Life wise?
    What I mean, I have my present pc for 3 years, an it has become underably slow with updates an stuff. (I keep it free of virus's an spyware)
    will simular happen to my mac, in your experiances? Even if properly maintained?

    5. With present spec of 17" mac, an latest version of iTunes, suffer slow downs with a large iTunes libary.
    On my pc at present, 1400+ songs, 100+ movies, 80Gb of tv series.
    Total libary size 160Gb+, an getting bigger!
    will it cope? Or suffer slow downs?
    As for the battery thing, I don't know for sure since I do not own either.

    1) Yes

    2) I would suggest a carrying bag/backback for it along with a case sleeve that fits the laptop to prevent scratches on the case while in the bag or backback.

    3)If you use a software like Onyx it will keep the speed up, but as the hardware starts to fade and the requirements for software goes up it will slow down somewhat.

    5) iTunes seems to be slow on first opening the program with a large amount of content but it's not so bad.

  8. #8
    Switching Soon!
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPeR View Post
    Hi my first post on Mac-Forums.
    I thought it would help to register with a Mac forum since I am switching next week an I got a few questions. (Sorry for long post)
    Ok so I have been using Windows PCs for almost 20years, the first piece of tecnology I got to grips with as a kid!
    So I am expecting a learning curve, but love challenges.
    Presently posting this thread on my iPhone 3Gs. Love them.With regards VIPeR
    Welcome aboard VIPeR ..... i recently switched 5 mnths ago...
    You picked a great forum to be a member of as its been invaluable to me and my noob questions. Dont be sorry about long post, if people arnt that interested they wont read it.

    Im getting rid of my 16gb touch and gonna upgrade to the 16gb iphone and they sound the real deal. I cant wait for it. Going to get Snow Leopard this Fri am and look forward to learning more about my great machine.

    These are a learning curve but in my opinion they are set up for logical thinking and easy t use and learn

    Enjoy what ever you get
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  9. #9
    Switching Soon!

    Member Since
    Jul 27, 2006
    Location
    Berkshire, Uk
    Posts
    394
    Specs:
    15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
    Welcome.

    MBP 15" or 17" will be plenty fast enough, if you don't need portability option then get an iMac for cheaper power compared to MBP.

    The switch can be easy although when switching its just the file orders, application installs, and start bar that will throw you.

    Bare with it, and you will love it!

    check this for more help
    Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

  10. #10
    Switching Soon!

    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2009
    Posts
    21
    thanks tattooedmac,
    As a secound iPhone user, there great!
    Had the original 2G 16Gb, an upgraded the other week to a 32Gb 3Gs!
    Just wish the battery lasted, more than 30hrs. But I am never off mine for txt'n, surfing net an media! + always been connected is a life saver for my work!

    Bloogrape, I really don't fancy another brute of a screen on my desk, but that's for the suggestion of a iMac.
    An the portability of the MBP is important! + I'll just connect my MBP to my monitor through it DVI connection.

    Now to just arrange a personal shopper for Monday.
    Again thanks VIPeR.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. switching from pc not sure what to get
    By DEZY4LYF in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 03:46 PM
  2. Switching???
    By Eagleonthelast in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 03:58 PM
  3. No switching to spaces when switching application.
    By Santino in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 11:11 AM
  4. Going To Be Switching
    By -Jack in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 02:32 PM
  5. A few q's before switching
    By drde in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 10:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •