New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Macbook Pro Battery health


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
pistacchio

 
Member Since: Aug 25, 2009
Posts: 7
pistacchio is on a distinguished road

pistacchio is offline
Hi,
This is my first post. I've purchased my first Apple computer this morning, it is a new Macbook Pro 13. I'm still waiting for it to be delivered.

My question is about the long lasting battery. What is the best way of taking care of it? Tipically I use my laptops connected to the power supply for days (in standby or just hanging there), then I take them around for some hour (like when watching the tv on the sofa or surfing from my bed!). How is this new battery supposed to work? Is it better to make it full discharge and then recharge? Do some discharge/richarge every once in a while? In one word: what are the best practices to make it last as long as possible and keep in good shape?

I've also read about "calibrating" the battery periodically. What does that mean?

Last question: when using windows (or even linux) I faced situations when the computer freezes. It freezes so bad that it is even impossible to shut them down in a decent way. Apart from the rethoric that Macs are different, they just work and so on, I've seen Macs freezed and sometimes the only, hard way of solving the problem is plugging away the battery. What if this happens to the new MacBook that has an _internal_ battery? Do I have to way 7 hours for the battery to discharge?

Thanks in advance for all the answers

gdp
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

 
MYmacROX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2009
Posts: 3,599
MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

MYmacROX is offline
It is my understanding full discharge of the battery is not recommended.
Read this for calibrating the battery (probably monthly or every other month).

If for some reason your Mac "freezes" just force quit that application. cmd+option+esc or if the mouse/cursor is available it is under the "Apple" icon in the top left.

Enjoy your new Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,626
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistacchio View Post
My question is about the long lasting battery. What is the best way of taking care of it? Tipically I use my laptops connected to the power supply for days (in standby or just hanging there), then I take them around for some hour (like when watching the tv on the sofa or surfing from my bed!). How is this new battery supposed to work? Is it better to make it full discharge and then recharge? Do some discharge/richarge every once in a while? In one word: what are the best practices to make it last as long as possible and keep in good shape?
Give this and this a read. The first one is specific to batteries while the second is more for "general" care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistacchio View Post
I've also read about "calibrating" the battery periodically. What does that mean?
Give this a read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistacchio View Post
Last question: when using windows (or even linux) I faced situations when the computer freezes. It freezes so bad that it is even impossible to shut them down in a decent way. Apart from the rethoric that Macs are different, they just work and so on, I've seen Macs freezed and sometimes the only, hard way of solving the problem is plugging away the battery. What if this happens to the new MacBook that has an _internal_ battery? Do I have to way 7 hours for the battery to discharge?
You shouldn't have this happen very often, regardless of what OS you're using. If it does happen, you can always hold down the power button for a few seconds which will force the computer off but I would recommend this as a last resort.

Sorry for all the links to your first few questions but I can't explain those any better than those articles can. Enjoy your new MBP!

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Pages | 13" MBP 15" MBP MBA or iMac »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Another one of those MacBook Pro battery issue problems.. alteredEgo Apple Notebooks 4 03-11-2008 05:54 PM
Macbook Vs Macbook Pro Battery life tobywuk Apple Notebooks 6 01-21-2008 04:18 AM
My Macbook Pro battery unraveled itself! SpliCer261 Apple Notebooks 7 10-22-2006 12:21 PM
Macbook pro battery shut down melmation Apple Notebooks 7 10-09-2006 10:56 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?