New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My File Structure - Correct?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rboseley

rboseley is on a distinguished road

Perhaps I can bump this up a notch or two - disregard the username. I have since explained by dumb question of file structure. This one may be as bad.

In the Apps folder - I can seem to get it out of my head - than only apps should be there. (Like only exe files in Windows). But I have folders which I presume to be related and required by the app.

For example, I just downloaded a YouTube Downloader. The actually runnin app is called YTD.jar - but there are there other files within the folder - I pulled the YTD out. Couldn't the folder with the other files live someplace else? I can exteriment - but this is what I was getting at. One folder, named Utilities I assume should be in there. I have my printer setup folder. Also Dvix, flip4mac.

I presume all this "stuff in my head" is a direct of my DOS days when every single file needed to be in a specific place.

I'll do a Time Machine the "play" with moving some of this stuff around.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Yes, no matter what you do, back up with Time Machine in case you do something wrong. But I think the file structure is much simpler than with DOS in that relevant files and folders aren't scattered all over the place.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboseley View Post
Perhaps I can bump this up a notch or two - disregard the username. I have since explained by dumb question of file structure. This one may be as bad.

In the Apps folder - I can seem to get it out of my head - than only apps should be there. (Like only exe files in Windows). But I have folders which I presume to be related and required by the app.

For example, I just downloaded a YouTube Downloader. The actually runnin app is called YTD.jar - but there are there other files within the folder - I pulled the YTD out. Couldn't the folder with the other files live someplace else? I can exteriment - but this is what I was getting at. One folder, named Utilities I assume should be in there. I have my printer setup folder. Also Dvix, flip4mac.

I presume all this "stuff in my head" is a direct of my DOS days when every single file needed to be in a specific place.

I'll do a Time Machine the "play" with moving some of this stuff around.
You can move pretty much any App anywhere, but some will only function properly if they reside in the Apps folder. The other folders can probably go elsewhere, but why? One of the nice things about the Mac is bits and pieces of Apps don't get thrown hither and yon throughout the system, they pretty much all stay in the Apps folder, with the exception of preference files. If an App puts another folder inside the Apps folder when it installs, at least you know where everything is.

Divx and Flip4Mac are Apps and the Utilities folder needs to stay where it is.

One other thing to keep in mind, and this is a big difference from Windows, is that those "Apps", while like .exe files are much more. They are actually packages that contain all of those files that Windows throws hither and you throughout the system (like .dll files and things in the Windows registry) as well as the code that actually runs the App. This is why, for the most part, deleting an App is as easy as dragging it to the trash and deleting it. The most you'll be left with is a few prefs files.

QUOTE Thanks
rsmithgi

rsmithgi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboseley View Post
Documents -------
EXCEL Files
iChats
Madone SS
Microsoft User Data
Movies/Video -------------------
Printer
NUMBERS Files
PAGE Files
PFD's
WORD Files
Divx Movies
iMovie Porjects
Real Player DL's
Veoh
YouTube DL's

Does this look correct or do I have some duplicates or other errors?
As others have stated, it's really up to you. I use an organization like this:

Documents
-------Work
-------------Projects
------------------Proj1
-------------Mgt
-------------other top-level work folders as necessary
--------Home
-------------soccer
-------------photography
-------------Mac stuff
-------------Linux stuff
-------------Windows stuff
-------------etc, etc, etc

I suggest you check out smart folders if you want to view your files by file type rather than grouped by purpose.

Also, I make extensive use of shortcuts in the sidebar to limit the amount of time spent browsing around the file system.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is my MacBook 64bit? | Upgrading to Snow Leopard »