New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I want to buy a 2.4Ghz MacBook and my mom asked me why

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

redtippmann

redtippmann is on a distinguished road

Well I don't where to put this so here we go.

I have been thinking about buying a 2.4Ghz MacBook and my mom asked me why. We have a alright laptop a hp dv6000 special edition and it works fine as much as a pc can but the screen seems poor and this REALY bothers me because I do allot of photo editing with PS on my laptop and the colors seem off. I know I could get calibrators to correct it but switching to a mac seems fun and the right thing to do.

So what are some other reasons to switch?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

They are cool and everybody is using them.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
bnkrnr

bnkrnr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook5,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
They are cool and everybody is using them.
haha yeah they are cool.

If you're trying to give an explanation as to why switch, I'd just have her toy around on it at the apple store or apple retailer. People that don't know mac's or are reluctant to use them will not fully understand one until they get a hands-on experience.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you're mother is paying for it, you have to convince her why a new laptop would be good for her or productive for you. If your mother thinks that your laptop is adequate, you have to show why it isn't. You need to show her why buying a new laptop is worth the cost. In other words, you have to justify the $1000+ cost. My guess is that if you explain to your mother that the colour isn't quite right and that you need a new expensive laptop, your mother will reject your plea for a new laptop instantly especially if this isn't for a job/school. I know that if my son/daughter phrased it this way, there wouldn't be a hope I would be buying a new laptop.

If you can't justify the cost, you don't need one. Approach this carefully though and don't deceive your mother.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Point out to your Mum that you dont need to spend time and money on dealing with Malware - theres a cost.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
Point out to your Mum that you dont need to spend time and money on dealing with Malware - theres a cost.
Can you really justify a $1000+ new notebook simply because it has less malware? An easy way to escape malware is to avoid that which spreads it, which you should be doing anyway. On top of this, if you get it, there are plenty of free removal tools for Windows. Don't use this excuse when trying to justify the new Mac.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtippmann View Post
Well I don't where to put this so here we go.

I have been thinking about buying a 2.4Ghz MacBook and my mom asked me why.
Well, you're the only one who can answer that.
If you need someone else to tell you why you want something, then chances are you shouldn't get it.
Quote:
We have a alright laptop a hp dv6000 special edition and it works fine as much as a pc can but the screen seems poor and this REALY bothers me because I do allot of photo editing with PS on my laptop and the colors seem off. I know I could get calibrators to correct it but switching to a mac seems fun and the right thing to do.
You'll still need to calibrate your color on a Mac, so that isn't any special reason to get one.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
redtippmann

thanks and I am buying it with my own money, but I was just looking for reasons to tell her that the switch will be worth it. She always uses windows and if I boot up ubuntu she gets confused so thanks for the advice on taking her to a store for her to try one on her own. Also I have a journalism class and I was wondering if something the teacher said was true? he said that mac's are better for editing photos because pc's were meant for text or something along the line that the photo on the monitor will look like the print version of the same image.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also I have a journalism class and I was wondering if something the teacher said was true? he said that mac's are better for editing photos because pc's were meant for text or something along the line that the photo on the monitor will look like the print version of the same image.
That is complete and udder bovine excrement (get it?... udder? )

Any computer with a properly calibrated display will give you a close representation of what the printed page will look like.
There is nothing magical, otherworldly or special about a Mac that will make your photos or documents better than any other computer.

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
he said that mac's are better for editing photos because pc's were meant for text or something along the line that the photo on the monitor will look like the print version of the same image.
LIES, LIES, and more LIES.

A Mac machine has better work flow. I like being able to drag and drop files from my desktop to my workspace. Saves me time from having to link files and having go looking for them from a dialogue box.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
LIES, LIES, and more LIES.

A Mac machine has better work flow. I like being able to drag and drop files from my desktop to my workspace. Saves me time from having to link files and having go looking for them from a dialogue box.
You can do that with Windows as well.
I use a Windows computer at work and do this all the time with Illustrator and Photoshop.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
You can do that with Windows as well.
I use a Windows computer at work and do this all the time with Illustrator and Photoshop.
Yeah I know you can but I hate being stuck in a window and not being able to see my desktop. User Multi tasking is nice, especially with expose.
QUOTE Thanks
redtippmann

well i found a answer to my question, thanks ken rockwell!
Why Professionals Use Mac
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Now have your mum sit down and read that. >_>"
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Nice find.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Volume cannot be mounted | So I made the switch and I've got just a few annoyances »