New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Formatting question.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mjq1986

mjq1986 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Macbook (2 Ghz, 2 GB Ram, 160 GB HDD)

Hello everyone,

I got a western digital 500 GB HDD for time machine purposes but at the same time I wanted to use it for my other files like movies, music and stuff like that as I can't afford to buy another disk. Should I make a partition in that HDD or should I simply first let time machine to format the whole disk and keep files on the whole HDD?

If you guys suggest me a partition then how do we create a partition on an external HDD?

I'd really appreciate your help guys.
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

You do not HAVE to use two partitions because Time Machine creates one folder containing all backups. If I am remembering correctly. So you can just put your other files there too.

However it could be smart to partition it anyway. A good way of keeping control... you can partition the drive with Disk Utility. You find that application in the /Applications/Utility/ folder. It will work with external drives too.

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

To further what Strukt said, TimeMachine creates what's called a `sparse bundle` which is basically a compressed, efficient binary image of it's backup meta-data/data etc. It is independent of any partitioning scheme so you don't have to create multiple partitions to use TM.
QUOTE Thanks
mjq1986

Thanks a lot for your help guys. Yeah I saw the folder but I was just worried what if later on when time machine wants to back up, it replaces my other files and stuff with the backup data whenever the disk is nearly about to fill up rather than replacing the old backups?

This is the main reason why I was concerned about creating a separate partition or not.
QUOTE Thanks
mjq1986

Hello everyone,

I wanted to create partitions on my external HDD of 500 GB (Western Digital)

I want to create one partition for time machine and the other for the rest of my files. I have a 160 GB Hard disk in my Mac and since I don't need to back up my stuff very frequently so do you think creating a partition of 200 GB would be enough?

I'd really appreciate your help guys.

Thank you so much.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

A 200 GB partition will work OK. If you accumulate too many backups where Time Machine is beginning to run out of space, it will delete the oldest in order to make room for the newest.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
mjq1986

Oh alright. Thanks a lot. That was very helpful :-)
QUOTE Thanks
mjq1986

Hello everyone,

I got a Western Digital 500 GB external HDD almost 3 weeks ago for the purpose of Time machine as well as for my other files and important stuff. I created two partitions; one for time machine and the other one for my files.

I recently went to a friend's place as he needed a few of my documents and it did appear on his PC that a new hardware is detected but didn't show any icon of the hard disk or anything like that. I'm confused about this and wondering whether the Mac formatted the HDD using its own format and which won't be compatible with windows but thats just my idea and I might be wrong.

Since, I also have to use my HDD at times on a PC thats why I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this as the HDD only works with Mac systems and not PCs.

I'd really appreciate your help and support people.

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

In order to use Time Machine with an external hard drive, it must be formatted to the OS X file system = HFS +. That file system can not be seen by Windows unless third party software is installed. You can partition your external hard drive into two partitions: One as HFS+ for Time Machine, the second as FAT-32 which is compatible with both Mac OS X and Windows.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
mjq1986

Thank you so much for your help :-)
QUOTE Thanks
mjq1986

I have a 500 GB external HDD of western digital and want to create two partitions. One for the time machine and the other for my files and stuff. Is it possible to make the partition, which is for my personal files compatible for windows based system as well? If yes then that format would be MS-DOS (FAT) in the drop list? Just wanted to be sure if I take any step. I'd highly appreciate your help here.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Merged multiple crossposts

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
lesnorvell

lesnorvell is on a distinguished road

quick question---I was planning to use both Time machine and Superduper for backup.... do I need to partion the external drive for the different backups ---what happens to the Superduper backup (files) as the drive begins to fill up with daily timemachine backups if you do not partion

lesnorvell
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

You don't need to partition the drive but I don't know how well that will work because SuperDuper creates a bootable clone of your hard drive. The clone it produces is not the same size as that of the hard drive but just of the amount of data that is on your hard drive.

Time Machine on the other hand will keep on making backups until it runs out of space and then it will start deleting them by date. (oldest first)

Why do you want to use both? Either use SuperDuper to make your backups or Time Machine. I have Time Machine turned off because I prefer using Carbon Copy Cloner (same as SuperDuper) as my primary backup.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
lesnorvell

lesnorvell is on a distinguished road

thanks you basically answered my underlying question--Do I need both...I do not need to have archived backups to return to past work--- just a simple back up for photos and documents

any reason that you like carbon clone over Superduper

lesnorvell
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't delete a certain email | iMovie question »