New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Clicking sound on MBP with 7200rpm HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nictan

nictan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD

hi. ive read online on forums that some MBPs have strange clicking noises and random freezeups after switching to 7200RPM drives. is that true? apple even released an update just yesterday to fix that. im intending to upgrade to a 7200RPM HD (hitachi most probably). does the problem occur on specific models of HD or ALL 7200RPM. if its the latter, im gonna think twice about upgrading.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The issue is with some Seagate drives that shipped with the June '09 MBP's.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MaConstant

MaConstant is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz 2G RAM 160G HD

Sometimes I have these strange clicking noises when I'm driving, but then they go away after I make a turn. Strange, I can't figure it out.
QUOTE Thanks
nictan

but some of those who installed the HD manually after getting their MBPs get the same issue though. so im wondering is it only seagate drives or does it lie with 7200rpm. if its the latter means it doesnt matter what brand it is, as long as its 7200 it'll click and freeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
The issue is with some Seagate drives that shipped with the June '09 MBP's.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nictan View Post
but some of those who installed the HD manually after getting their MBPs get the same issue though. so im wondering is it only seagate drives or does it lie with 7200rpm. if its the latter means it doesnt matter what brand it is, as long as its 7200 it'll click and freeze.
I doubt that it's directly related to the spindle speed. From what I understand, the problem revolves around the drive parking the heads when it detects a shock. Apparently there is a conflict between Seagate's firmware and the shock sensor built into the Mac. It's not supposed to be an issue unless there are sudden G-forces sensed. The update Apple issued is supposed to correct the problem. Since the release was so recent, I think the jury is still out as to whether this was a permanent fix for all drives.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

This was released yesterday and posted on the forums:-

Hard Drive Firmware Update 2.0
QUOTE Thanks
nictan

so from what you are saying, the fault arises when its seagate HD in a mac? so i guess i am safe with a hitachi? heh heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I doubt that it's directly related to the spindle speed. From what I understand, the problem revolves around the drive parking the heads when it detects a shock. Apparently there is a conflict between Seagate's firmware and the shock sensor built into the Mac. It's not supposed to be an issue unless there are sudden G-forces sensed. The update Apple issued is supposed to correct the problem. Since the release was so recent, I think the jury is still out as to whether this was a permanent fix for all drives.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nictan View Post
so from what you are saying, the fault arises when its seagate HD in a mac? so i guess i am safe with a hitachi? heh heh
I wouldn't put any data I valued on a Hitachi drive. I'd sooner go with a Western Digital.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
nictan

hmm im not too worried about that though, as ive everything on timemachine. but my company's com technician told me that hitachi was better than WD which is actually seagate, smth along that line. and that it wasnt as good. no idea though ahahah.

im more concerned about the clicking stuff
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Your technician is confused. Western Digital and Seagate are two separate and distinct companies. It's more likely that he's thinking of Maxtor (which is now owned by Seagate).

Hitachi drives have some of the industry's highest failure rates, so much so that they are commonly referred to as "Deathstars" (their normal model lines are "Travelstar" and "Deskstar"). It's a shame as IBM used to make great hard drives until Hitachi took over that operation.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'm not in the business, but still have a lot of friends that bring me their systems to work on. Which means I don't see nearly as many drives as cwa, but the failed drives I do see at less than 5 yrs old are typically Hitachi and Fujitsu and right at about 5 yrs old are Maxtor. Don't see many Seagate drives at all and the WD drives I see are typically about 7-8 yrs or older it seems like. I'm thinking there's not that many off-the-shelf systems in years past that used Seagate. And all my experience on the hardware side is really with desktops.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
nictan

hmm. thanks for the feedback. i better check back with him to make sure. :S.
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

Seagate apparently had a bad batch of the 7200.4 Momentus drives. Apple uses these, and they are also in different sizes. The 500GB's were the most affected, but it affected some others as well. I had a 320GB model right out of the box that was glitchy and I ended up returning it for a replacement which I *think* is in better shape. The 500GB I got for my MBP seems OK but time will tell.
QUOTE Thanks
DaSvenska

DaSvenska is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Under the area "About this Mac", the ATA states "NVidia" as the vendor, do they make hard drives? Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area to find out who makes my 7200 320 GB August purchased MBP.

--The Swede--
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSvenska View Post
Under the area "About this Mac", the ATA states "NVidia" as the vendor, do they make hard drives? Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area to find out who makes my 7200 320 GB August purchased MBP.
No, NVIDIA does not make hard drives. You are probably looking at the chipset/SATA controller, you may need to click the little triangle next to the name of the chipset to see the drive itself.

Go back into About This Mac => More Info. Click on "Serial ATA", you should see something like this:

If the model number starts off with an "ST", that stands for Seagate Technology.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Track pad on MBP not working after sleep mode. | Videos, Youtube and Mac »