New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Time Machine to Transfer Microsoft Office?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ghostsushi

ghostsushi is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MBP: 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, 2.26GHz

Hallo. New to the forum ... I have a white mb and have an mbp coming in the post. would i be able to use my time machine backups to get my registered microsoft office from my mb onto my mbp without cds/serials?

i've already passed on the cd, and used my last serial
ty
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The Microsoft EULA specifies 3 installs and that's either in the same household or same person. (Depends on which version of Office you purchased.) You are not allowed to "pass on" the CD unless you uninstall it from all your machines and you must include the SNs along with the CD.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
ghostsushi

umm... thats fantastic. will the time machine transfer it or not?
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

The point chsag is making is that what you are asking about is illegal and you won't get any help here.
QUOTE Thanks
ghostsushi

even though its a legal copy of word? rough. okay thank you
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

That's the point. It's NOT a legal copy of word. As said in the post by chscag, you should not have "passed on" the CDs. Doing so "passed on" the legal copy, which makes yours not "legal." It may have been legal when you installed, but passing the CDs to someone else outside your household left you holding the bag.
QUOTE Thanks
ghostsushi

...eh? you guys are awful literal. i gave it to my brother who lost it. sorry for misunderstandings
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostsushi View Post
...eh? you guys are awful literal. i gave it to my brother who lost it. sorry for misunderstandings
That's OK. Your first post made it sound as if you gave the CD to someone else, like a friend. In that case you were no longer the legal owner.

Did you register Office with MS when you purchased it? If you did, give them a call at their customer service toll free number and they will replace the media less the SN for a small fee. Even if you didn't register, call them anyway and ask for a replacement CD.

Your three serial numbers can be used over again by you or anyone in your household provided you do not at any time exceed the number of allowed installs - which is three.

See the following from MS :

Contact Our Customer Service Team

Online Chat is available Monday through Friday, 11 A.M. to 8 P.M. (Eastern Time). For U.S. customers only; international customers, please visit our Microsoft Worldwide page to choose from our Microsoft sites worldwide.

Contact us by e-mail and you will receive an e-mail response from us within one business day.

If you prefer to use the phone, our Customer Service team is ready Monday through Friday, 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. (Eastern Time), at (888) 218-5617 (toll-free in the United States).

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Now that the BSA crowd has ranted about piracy, yes a Time Machine restore should put it all back in.

Guaranteed to work because I did just that is Migration Assistant. Firewire cable and a couple hours an my MBP looked for all the world exactly like my MB, functioning Office and all.
QUOTE Thanks
ghostsushi

Finally! Someone set out to answer my question!

Thank you. much appreciated
is the entire forum this annoying?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostsushi View Post
Finally! Someone set out to answer my question!

Thank you. much appreciated
is the entire forum this annoying?
No one in this forum is purposefully trying to annoy you. We can only respond to your questions in the way you post them. No one here can read your mind as to what you did or did not do. Your original question came across as illegal activity and it was only until you clarified what you had done that you received an answer. Maybe it wasn't the answer you wanted but the suggestion I gave you in my previous reply will resolve your problem now and for the future.

What if your Time Machine backup turns out to be invalid or the external hard drive won't mount? How will you restore your copy of Office then?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
Now that the BSA crowd has ranted about piracy, yes a Time Machine restore should put it all back in.
You know the rules of this forum...... enough said.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« auto numbering columns in Numbers | Home recording »