New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

saving videos in iphoto

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

margaret438

margaret438 is on a distinguished road

i did a couple of different searches but couldn't find answer. maybe i put in the incorrect parameters.

when i download camera data (both photos and videos), they go right to iphoto. great. i can tell the difference cause it shows a little video camera for a video.

however, i am finding some old photos and videos that i had on the internet, and would like to add them to iphoto library. when i select the photos and right-click to import to iphoto, everything is fine. when i try to do the same thing with the video, it imports as just a photo.

how do i get old videos to go in as a video instead of a photo? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cameraman

cameraman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam

margaret, I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say that your problem might be that the old videos were saved in a different format that iPhoto doesn't recognize and the newer videos were saved in another. Take a look to see what the file extensions are, you may have to convert the older videos.

Rick
QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

cameraman, you may be absolutely right. photos were taken using original iflip (now flip video) that i used on xp pc, which does WMV on Windows

is there a way that i can take a copy of my video (wmv) on dogster and convert it to mov for imac??
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

There are some converter programs out there that you can do that with however, if you want to make the process faster just download Windows Media Player for Mac and it will play your WMV files.

Office for Mac - Easy Access to Downloads and Updates | Mactopia

On the details window scroll to the bottom and choose your language to download it in. Hope this helped.
QUOTE Thanks
cameraman

cameraman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
There are some converter programs out there that you can do that with however, if you want to make the process faster just download Windows Media Player for Mac and it will play your WMV files.

Office for Mac - Easy Access to Downloads and Updates | Mactopia

On the details window scroll to the bottom and choose your language to download it in. Hope this helped.
I agree!!

Rick
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Can't answer your main question, but do not install Windows Media Player - that thing has not been updated in 6 years now.

To play wmv files on your Mac you want Flip4Mac available at Microsoft here:

Windows Media® Components for QuickTime

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

You can also get Flip4Mac. I saw that as an option I just didn't get it because I'm used to WMP but since your post I've downloaded F4M and will give it a shot especially if what you say is true about WMP not being updated in quite a while.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you scroll down in the details section in your link for WMP9, you'll find this:

Released: Friday, October 31, 2003

That's back at least 3 versions of OS X. Flip4Mac is in ongoing development and Microsoft has teamed up with Telestream, the developers. It can also be found at their site here, along with upgraded versions of it if you need them.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

ok i'll download flip4mac and see what happens. thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Home recording | Deciding on 13" or 15" Macbook Pro »