New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iBook G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac2PCBak2Mac

I am currently returning to Mac after a hiatus of 8 years. I was looking to purchase an iBook G4 that was offered to me hours ago. I was wondering if the system I will be purchasing can run smooth and if it can run games(mvp 2004/5, Madden 05, half life etc...) well. I might have more questions once I purchase the system.

Here are the specs

Processor 1.07GHz PowerPC G4

Memory (DDR SDRAM) 256MB PC2100 (266MHz)

Hard drive 30GB ATA/100 4200 rpm

Optical drive Slot-Load Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW)

Display 12.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA

Graphics support ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM

FireWire One FireWire 400 port at up to 400 Mbps

USB Two USB 2.0 ports at up to 480 Mbps each

Modem Built-in 56K V.92 modem

Ethernet Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet

System software Mac OS X version 10.3 Panther

Software Mac OS X, Classic environment, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand), iSync, iCal, DVD Player, AppleWorks, Mac OS X Chess, Microsoft Internet Explorer, EarthLink, Quicken 2005 for Mac, World Book 2004 Edition, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, Zinio Reader, Apple Hardware Test

Hardware accessories Apple VGA Display Adapter, modem cable, power adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-ion battery
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

how much would this cost [ not to be rude but to see if its worth it?]
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

You're definitely want to get more RAM, especially for anything graphically intensive- like gaming. Unfortunately I'm not much a computer gamer so I couldn't give you a definite answer as far as running those apps.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac2PCBak2Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2
how much would this cost [ not to be rude but to see if its worth it?]

$250 shipped plus a cd player/MP3
QUOTE Thanks
Mac2PCBak2Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolate One
You're definitely want to get more RAM, especially for anything graphically intensive- like gaming. Unfortunately I'm not much a computer gamer so I couldn't give you a definite answer as far as running those apps.

How much more ram and how much would it cost? Would it be semi easy to install?
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

I got a gig stick for a reasonable price @ Coast to Coast Memory. Very easy to install. Just pop the keyboard up, unscrew the Airport card tray, and the slot is right there.

$250? It's either hot or missing the screen for that price!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac2PCBak2Mac

Quote:
I got a gig stick for a reasonable price @ Coast to Coast Memory. Very easy to install. Just pop the keyboard up, unscrew the Airport card tray, and the slot is right there.

No its the full laptop. Working and all. Good cosmetic condition too.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:

That, or the person selling has no idea what they are selling. My iBook has pretty much the same specs, but with a 14" screen. I have 512MB of RAM and I am able to run COD, Jedi Academy, THPS4 and a few other games fairly well. With only a 32MB video card, games can be kinda choppy. If gaming is going to be your primary concern, you may want to just stick with a PC or a console system for the games. Everything else will run smooth as silk, just be sure to get at least 512MB of RAM, A 1GB stick would be even better. And since you are only paying $250 for the iBook, you would have plenty of cash left for the RAM.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

$250 is a great price. Apple is selling these refurbished for $899.00. Are you, um, sure that the guy you are getting it from is legit and that the machine is in good working order?

I wouldn't expect much in the way of gaming performance or even game availability on this system, especially if you are a real PC gamer. Games for the Mac are usually ported several months after the PC versions if at all. I don't think any of the titles you mentioned have even been ported. If you want a machine for gaming, buy something else.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac2PCBak2Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828
$250 is a great price. Apple is selling these refurbished for $899.00. Are you, um, sure that the guy you are getting it from is legit and that the machine is in good working order?

I wouldn't expect much in the way of gaming performance or even game availability on this system, especially if you are a real PC gamer. Games for the Mac are usually ported several months after the PC versions if at all. I don't think any of the titles you mentioned have even been ported. If you want a machine for gaming, buy something else.

I get the machine and my cousin in atlanta will pay. I am 100% sure its legit. I didnt know it was a good offer.
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

go buy it now great deal
QUOTE Thanks
Mac2PCBak2Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2
go buy it now great deal

doesnt work that way. Has to be shipped.
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2PCBak2Mac
doesnt work that way. Has to be shipped.
Either way what we mean is scoop this deal up!

And welcome aboard! :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

mine was...er...A LOT MORE THAN THAT. I'd buy it and sell it again for more, if I could
QUOTE Thanks
Mac2PCBak2Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe3223
mine was...er...A LOT MORE THAN THAT. I'd buy it and sell it again for more, if I could

If its a good deal then I doubt I will find someone to offer the same deal. Plus its being shipped tomorrow by USPS. Hopefully the upgrades wont cost much.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is firefox faster than Safari? | Virex??? »