New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mp3 cds

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Ok i admit to being a computer idiot, but if i can sit at my Mac and transfer files to the wife's Mac and read and send files to my pc, delete files and all how is that not reading and writing? Sounds like a case of semantics to me for in real life the files i send get writen to the ntfs hard drive, and files i tell it to delete get deleted. What your saying then is i don't actually physically write the files to the drive, i just send the information and the windows machine does the actual writing, is this correct?

I never said anything about an external ntfs drive, my pc has two internal hard drives both ntfs formated and accessable by both my pm g5 and the wifes iMac g5 through a lan and all three share internet through a router. I do have an external drive that is used by both Mac and pc and it is fat32.
I mentioned the external drive just to cover all bases.

Think of it this way. You are talking to a Japanese tourist who does not speak a single word of your native tongue and you do not speak Japanese. Beside him is a translator who listens to what you say then repeats it in Japanese and vice versa. Thus you are communicating with the Japanese tourist in his native tongue, but not directly. That is basically what you are doing when you are writing to a shared drive, SMB is the translator.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
What your saying then is i don't actually physically write the files to the drive, i just send the information and the windows machine does the actual writing, is this correct?
Yes, that's mainly what Kokopelli means. And he is right, of course, I just didn't think far enough
Over the network, the SMB protocoll tells Windows what to do with the files, and also the other way around. Because, physically (as in directly attached drive, internal or external), Windows wouldn't see the Mac's drive, as it doesn't know HFS+ (the Mac's file system) and the Mac could only read a NTFS disk.

A disk that is read/writable on both system needs to be formatted in FAT32 (as you have done already).

EDIT: Just read your SMB explanation, Kokopelli... quite interesting way to explain it... :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
I mentioned the external drive just to cover all bases.

Think of it this way. You are talking to a Japanese tourist who does not speak a single word of your native tongue and you do not speak Japanese. Beside him is a translator who listens to what you say then repeats it in Japanese and vice versa. Thus you are communicating with the Japanese tourist in his native tongue, but not directly. That is basically what you are doing when you are writing to a shared drive, SMB is the translator.
Oh, ok, i can understand that. Just never really thought of it before because everytime I wanted to move a file it just moved like i was doing it on the Mac with no problem, but it certainly makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Yes, that's mainly what Kokopelli means. And he is right, of course, I just didn't think far enough
Over the network, the SMB protocoll tells Windows what to do with the files, and also the other way around. Because, physically (as in directly attached drive, internal or external), Windows wouldn't see the Mac's drive, as it doesn't know HFS+ (the Mac's file system) and the Mac could only read a NTFS disk.

A disk that is read/writable on both system needs to be formatted in FAT32 (as you have done already).

EDIT: Just read your SMB explanation, Kokopelli... quite interesting way to explain it... :cool:
I see the difference now thanks for the info. Kinda like when i installed linux on the pc and was able to see and transfer files from the xp side, but xp could not see the linux side...

QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin
As for the CD not being read, I have had issues in the past with disks not working after a year. These were Name brand CD's as well. I don't know if they have changed the quality of Blank CD's over the years, but I now have MP3 CD's over 2 years old in my car which is not the most safest environment for CD's -20 below Celsius in the winter. These were those 100 pack of blanks too.
Quite possible. Also not all cd writers are all that compatable with other cd readers. I have 5 cds of mp3's writen on an old burner that my 3 present computers can not read, but my friends old system can read it fine and that may be the problem he is having now too, his new system can't read them either...

QUOTE Thanks
DCyamaha

sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, but the problem is that the imac won't read the data CD (with Mp3s) at all! I can hear the drive spin up and then it just shuts down. There is no icon on the desktop that a CD was inserted into the drive. Its not the drive either. I can read other CD-Rs just fine, but obviously not the ones I created 2-3 years ago.

I have Virtual PC 7 with windows XP home edition on my iMac, I may boot up my virtual machine and see if it will read it. I HOPE that works. Otherwise, I have 3 gigs of Mp3s sitting on CDs that are worthless now
QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCyamaha
sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, but the problem is that the imac won't read the data CD (with Mp3s) at all! I can hear the drive spin up and then it just shuts down. There is no icon on the desktop that a CD was inserted into the drive. Its not the drive either. I can read other CD-Rs just fine, but obviously not the ones I created 2-3 years ago.

I have Virtual PC 7 with windows XP home edition on my iMac, I may boot up my virtual machine and see if it will read it. I HOPE that works. Otherwise, I have 3 gigs of Mp3s sitting on CDs that are worthless now
Not always worthless...it could be like i said, not every drive will read every disk. Try the disks on as many other computers and you can, maybe one will read them and then you can move them to hard drive and rewite them again with another burner that is more compatable with what you have now. That is how i got my 5 disks back, my friend had an old old computer that would read them and i just made new disks on his machine and my new computer would read those...

Of course it could be those disks have just plain gone bad and the files are lost, but it is worth the try.

QUOTE Thanks
DCyamaha

good solution. I do have access to other PCs (Dell, Compaq) which are my parents. I will try to reburn them onto newer CDs if possible.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCyamaha
good solution. I do have access to other PCs (Dell, Compaq) which are my parents. I will try to reburn them onto newer CDs if possible.

thanks!
Don't leave out any Macs you have access to as i have had a Mac read some disks that my pc wouldn't. It isn't just pc or mac, it's the drives themselves so try em on as many different drives as you can.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What are folder actions? | Ram on an i-book »