New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Running parallels??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ItsAndroo

ItsAndroo is on a distinguished road

How does running parallels affect the performance of your mac? (more specifically, the 13 in MBP with 2GB Ram)I Don't have that much RAM, but i would like to run parallels as well. Anyone have experience running this program with 2GB RAM? I won't being running anything to intensive, probably no or little games running thru windows.(I plan on using XP) Also, I've head that you need to dedicate an amoun tof memory to Paralllels? If I do so, but I am not running the program, will I have all 2GB of my RAM available for Leopard? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Parallels v4 runs just fine on my 1.86Ghz 2GB RAM MacBook Air. I have XP SP3 and Win7 both set up to use 768MB of RAM so I can use some Microsoft applications (like Project & Visio 2007) for work. No problems here getting odds and ends done.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It does depend on what you need to use Parallels for and what OS you intend to run. I did run VMs with 2GBs of RAM and as long as you ensure that you have enough RAM for both your guest and host to meet your needs, you should be fine. Using the system requirements of the OS you plan to install is a good start for determining how much RAM you need to give to your VM.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
brianwmay

brianwmay has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g

I give Parallels 4 1Gb of RAM.

I barely notice it running in the background.

Mac Junkie
- MacBook Pro 2.4, 500Gb, 4Gb
- MacBook Air (wife's), - iPad 2 64Gb
- 2 x iPod Touch 32Gb and iPhones 3GS 32Gb
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Acronyms and there meanings | I'm missing something obvious I know ... fractions? »