New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

15" MBP comparison

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gregcuc

gregcuc is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm looking into getting a 15" macbook pro for school. i was debating between the lower and mid grade end of those machines. The main difference thats making the decision hard is the graphics card. How big of a difference is the 9400 vs the 9600? I plan on using it for programs like iphoto, HD movies, photoshop cs4. I plan on using windows xp/vista on bootcamp to play older games like Counterstrike Source and Warcraft 3. I don't plan on any brand new games for now. So any suggestions? is it worth the 300 extra for the graphics card when i plan on using it for not hardcore gaming?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
techound1

Location: Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come visit me --->
techound1 has a spectacular aura about

If you can't decide based on current use, think about how it might up your resale value down the road. The newer card will fetch more later.
QUOTE Thanks
stucano

stucano is on a distinguished road

Personally I would recommend you get the lower range, I have an older MBP with the X1600 and use those programs regularly and notice no problems, and the graphics cards in the new MBPs are much better, even at the low end. So save yourself the extra cash.

ITSJUSTHOSTING.com
Affordable, Reliable Premium Web Hosting.
QUOTE Thanks
Spankey

Spankey is an unknown at this point

The 9400 uses system memory. The 9600 does not. If you don't plan on using the higher end graphics card, then think about the 13" MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
WoM

WoM is an unknown at this point

Let me show you a brief comparison of Macbook Pro, and a laptop from ibuypower.com (do not intend to advertise them, a moderator may remove it if they wish), which comes with windows.

Macbook pro
2.8 ghz dual core
500gig 7200 rpm hard drive
15 inch display
512mb 9600m GT Nvidia
4gigs of RAM

Ibuypower Laptop
2.8 ghz dual core
500gig 7200 rpm hard drive
15 inch display
512mb 9600m GT Nvidia
4gigs of RAM

Why, they're pretty much identical (the Ibuypower came with a free game and some peripherals, but I'll ignore them for the sake of comparison.) The only major difference? The price tag.
Ibuypower - $1100 Mabook Pro- $2,299.00

I ask again, why pick a mac when you can get a laptop, which is basically the same, for $1200 dollars cheaper?
QUOTE Thanks
RavynX

RavynX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro (2009)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoM View Post
I ask again, why pick a mac when you can get a laptop, which is basically the same, for $1200 dollars cheaper?
Because he wants to use Mac programs as stated in his first post. He's only using the bootcamp Vista load for the games, everything else is done on OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
psaxena

psaxena is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why, they're pretty much identical (the Ibuypower came with a free game and some peripherals, but I'll ignore them for the sake of comparison.) The only major difference? The price tag.

Can someone explain this to me?
Why is an MBP so so costly? I don't think it's just the OS...
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaxena View Post
Can someone explain this to me?
Why is an MBP so so costly? I don't think it's just the OS...
Well, he left out some key points/specs/features to make his Windows machine match the specs of the MBP.
It should look more like this in price:

Mabook Pro- $2,299.00
Ibuypower - $1912.00

That's only a difference of $387.

What the ibuypower site won't let you add are apps to match/compete with iLife. iLife sells for about $80, so that takes your pricing difference down to only ~$300.

The MBP also has a backlit keyboard, and LED backlit display, A firewire port and a Multi-Touch trackpad.

I would say that those features are worth the extra ~$300.

..plus, you get OS X!

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Monitor problems | Easy way to run Windows? »