New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is firefox faster than Safari?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

donnation25

donnation25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive

Just wondering what the big deal over Firefox is.
QUOTE Thanks
brendan67

brendan67 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2 4gbram iPhone5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnation25
Just wondering what the big deal over Firefox is.
yes its faster but i prefer safari right now

somehow it just suits the mac better

just my opinion

macbook pro 2gb
iphone5
ipad 16gb
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Rendering speed is about the same for each in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
IcedOutQMutha

From my own experience I'd say Firefox is slightly faster, but I've found it doesn't display some page content correctly, which I was surprised at, and Safari showwed it fine, so I use Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

firefox faster but since apple backs safari and it is still a good browser it is top-dog
QUOTE Thanks
i2oadi2unnei2

IMHO both are fairly the same speed, not that I can notice ms speeds <grin>. I use Safari on my PB and FireFox on my linux box.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i prefer safari because i installed the 2 finger scroll hack on my iBook. It doesnt quite work on Firefox

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I will probably switch back to Safari with 2.0

I like FireFox right now because of RSS, and even though this may seem to be trivial I like how when I hit the red x when there are multiple tabs open it pops up a warning

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

As brendan67 has said, I also feel Safari suits the Mac better. I have both and yes it is faster, especailly if you:

in the addy bar key in about:config

network.http.pipelining - set to "true"
network.http.proxy.pipelining - set to "true"
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests - up the number to like "30" or so

Right-click or in our case ctrl+click and select new=>integer. Then create "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" Set that value at "0"

That should speed things up greatly.

But again, I prefer Safari. Even with the speed tweak Firefox has over it.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I am pretty sure that tweak doesn't work. I read somewhere that FireFox has the default set to 8 and even if you change it in about config it will still stay at 8

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

I've mainly used Camino and Shiira. Camino has the Firefox rendering engine and speed, and the native OS X interface. I just think it's so much better than Firefox as far as programming is concerned. A port can never live up IMO. Shiira's got the Safari rendering engine, but I like the interface a little better, and from what I've seen it's noticeably faster than any other Mac browser. The big thing that Camino and Safari have going for them, though, that no other browsers have is keychain support. You have no idea how great the keychain is until it's gone. Firefox and Shiira lack that, but Shiira will hopefully have it soon.

And yes, monkey's right. While pipelining does improve speed, Firefox's about:config has been broken in the builds for some time now, so you can't really change it. Shiira has pipelining enabled by default, and you can enable it in Safari and Camino with simple programs.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

mmoy is an unknown at this point

If you want to try my Firefox G4/G5 builds, see http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=238228

I plan to add several Altivec optimizations to various parts of Firefox to see if I can significantly improve rendering speed. I'm just getting up to speed on the PowerPC architecture and will be doing some playing around with Altivec before attempting to implement changes.

I use Windows, Solaris, Linux and OSX on a regular basis and it's nice to have something that runs on a lot of different platforms. I have a decent working knowledge on several areas of the source code too and can make changes on my own.
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

A bunch of people (mostly pc users) and i have tried/ use fire fox. We all agree that it runs a little slow out here (i notice a definante slow down from safarii). pieplining seems to help, but i like safari for general use.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
I am pretty sure that tweak doesn't work. I read somewhere that FireFox has the default set to 8 and even if you change it in about config it will still stay at 8
It is set to 8 but it's not enabled by default. That you have to do yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

[ safari + Saft ] > firefox

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Email Help!!! Just Got My First Mac. | iBook G4 »