Question Do I Need Anti-Virus When Running XP
    I purchase VM Ware's Fusion 2 for running some XP stuff. Am I protected via the Mac or do I need to install my XP Anti-Virus?
    A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
    Adopt a pet on petfinder.com
    Mac OSX

Specs:
    13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
    You need anitvirus for XP VM session. It should come with Virus software for Windows.

Specs:
    15-inch MacBook Pro
    Ditto what Prolanman stated. A VM is NO different than any other Windows machine.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Like the others said, your VM will be susceptible to viruses much like a regular Windows install. If you do get one, it will be contained to the VM though. As such, I suggest that right after you install and activate Windows, you should copy the virtual hard disk elsewhere so, should something go wrong, you can copy the virtual HD back and have an already installed and activated copy of Windows ready to go.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    MacBook
    If you're running Windows... then you're running Windows.

Apple hardware and/or software will not create a magical barrier to protect Windows from its ever-growing list of maladies and vulnerabilities.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB Flash Storage, 3.3Ghz, 16GB memory, OS X.11.5.
    Download and use one of the free programs such as AVG version 8.5:-

AVG Free - Download Free Antivirus and Antispyware for Windows 7, Vista and XP

Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    I use VMWare Fusion on my iMac and I don't have any virus protection at all on Windows. I did make an image of the operating system just after installing XP and before connecting the vm to the network. And each time, before going online, I make an image backup so that if I get stupid and get a virus, I can whack the image and replace it with an uninfected on. Not much is lost but the virus. The latest Fusion even lets me keep multiple images, so I don't have to overwrite a good one with a possibly infected one.

XP without the overhead of AV is much nicer, btw.

Specs:
    Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerich View Post
    I use VMWare Fusion on my iMac and I don't have any virus protection at all on Windows. I did make an image of the operating system just after installing XP and before connecting the vm to the network. And each time, before going online, I make an image backup so that if I get stupid and get a virus, I can whack the image and replace it with an uninfected on. Not much is lost but the virus. The latest Fusion even lets me keep multiple images, so I don't have to overwrite a good one with a possibly infected one.

XP without the overhead of AV is much nicer, btw.
    This.

Imaging (Parallels calls it screen shot I believe) is not only a way to save a lot of time yourself, but afaik many network admins are using virtual environments for server management due to the ease of using images as backup rather than fumbling with the need for extra physical space needed to store things such as disks.
    Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13

The programs I use in XP are not dependent on the internet, so I just disable the connection. I also don't import any files that could be contaminated. Therefore, I don't need or use a Anti-virus program.

Quote Originally Posted by Locoweed View Post
    The programs I use in XP are not dependent on the internet, so I just disable the connection. I also don't import any files that could be contaminated. Therefore, I don't need or use a Anti-virus program.
    I plan to do that also. Could you explain how to disable XP from using the internet?

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Just disable it in your respective virtualization product. I don't use Fusion but in VirtualBox, you simply select your VM > Settings > Network > uncheck "Enable Network Adapter". This should disable your network adapter for the VM.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Just disable it in your respective virtualization product. I don't use Fusion but in VirtualBox, you simply select your VM > Settings > Network > uncheck "Enable Network Adapter". This should disable your network adapter for the VM.
    I should have been more clear. I'm runnning a separate XP computer and once I get everything possible moved from it over to my new MBP, I want to disconnect the XP computer from the Internet, disable virus stuff, etc. I still want the XP computer on my network so it can communicate with the Mac. Is that possible?

BTW, apologies for the thread hijack!

Thread Information