New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Do I Need Anti-Virus When Running XP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Arielluria

Arielluria is an unknown at this point

I purchase VM Ware's Fusion 2 for running some XP stuff. Am I protected via the Mac or do I need to install my XP Anti-Virus?

A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet on petfinder.com
Mac OSX
QUOTE Thanks
Prolanman

Prolanman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad

You need anitvirus for XP VM session. It should come with Virus software for Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Ditto what Prolanman stated. A VM is NO different than any other Windows machine.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Like the others said, your VM will be susceptible to viruses much like a regular Windows install. If you do get one, it will be contained to the VM though. As such, I suggest that right after you install and activate Windows, you should copy the virtual hard disk elsewhere so, should something go wrong, you can copy the virtual HD back and have an already installed and activated copy of Windows ready to go.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

If you're running Windows... then you're running Windows.

Apple hardware and/or software will not create a magical barrier to protect Windows from its ever-growing list of maladies and vulnerabilities.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Download and use one of the free programs such as AVG version 8.5:-

AVG Free - Download Free Antivirus and Antispyware for Windows 7, Vista and XP
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

I use VMWare Fusion on my iMac and I don't have any virus protection at all on Windows. I did make an image of the operating system just after installing XP and before connecting the vm to the network. And each time, before going online, I make an image backup so that if I get stupid and get a virus, I can whack the image and replace it with an uninfected on. Not much is lost but the virus. The latest Fusion even lets me keep multiple images, so I don't have to overwrite a good one with a possibly infected one.

XP without the overhead of AV is much nicer, btw.
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerich View Post
I use VMWare Fusion on my iMac and I don't have any virus protection at all on Windows. I did make an image of the operating system just after installing XP and before connecting the vm to the network. And each time, before going online, I make an image backup so that if I get stupid and get a virus, I can whack the image and replace it with an uninfected on. Not much is lost but the virus. The latest Fusion even lets me keep multiple images, so I don't have to overwrite a good one with a possibly infected one.

XP without the overhead of AV is much nicer, btw.
This.

Imaging (Parallels calls it screen shot I believe) is not only a way to save a lot of time yourself, but afaik many network admins are using virtual environments for server management due to the ease of using images as backup rather than fumbling with the need for extra physical space needed to store things such as disks.

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
Locoweed

Locoweed is on a distinguished road

The programs I use in XP are not dependent on the internet, so I just disable the connection. I also don't import any files that could be contaminated. Therefore, I don't need or use a Anti-virus program.
QUOTE Thanks
mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoweed View Post
The programs I use in XP are not dependent on the internet, so I just disable the connection. I also don't import any files that could be contaminated. Therefore, I don't need or use a Anti-virus program.
I plan to do that also. Could you explain how to disable XP from using the internet?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Just disable it in your respective virtualization product. I don't use Fusion but in VirtualBox, you simply select your VM > Settings > Network > uncheck "Enable Network Adapter". This should disable your network adapter for the VM.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Just disable it in your respective virtualization product. I don't use Fusion but in VirtualBox, you simply select your VM > Settings > Network > uncheck "Enable Network Adapter". This should disable your network adapter for the VM.
I should have been more clear. I'm runnning a separate XP computer and once I get everything possible moved from it over to my new MBP, I want to disconnect the XP computer from the Internet, disable virus stuff, etc. I still want the XP computer on my network so it can communicate with the Mac. Is that possible?

BTW, apologies for the thread hijack!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flashing Question Mark on start up | ms onenote - which password do they want? »