Keeping a CD/DVD RW disc open
    Looking for confirmation - I think I have found various internet threads suggesting OSX will not keep a DVD or CD RW disc writeable once you have burned to it.

I'm needing to have a disc to keep adding files to as I generate them until the disc is full. In Windows you just keep dropping the files to your RW disc and they get burned to it.

How can I achieve this in OS X or do I have to buy a third party piece of software.

A bit disappointed its not as easy as dragging and dropping, or have I missed something obvious.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    You can do this in Disc Utility, and just select "burn session" from the menu, or get Burn - a free burning program, that is much easier to use for this kind of thing. It is not true that it's impossible!

Burn - Home
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    To Kevriano:

It is not true that it's impossible!
    You can not multi-session write to a DVD or DVD+RW in OS X either with Disk Utility or third party software. Definitely a disappointment to folks who are switchers from Windows.

You can with a CDR or CDRW but even at that, it sometimes does not work. I have had "Burn" overwrite the TOC on several CD multi-session burns effectively destroying the entire contents. "BurnX Free" does a better job but the result is awkward. If you burn two sessions and mount the CD, it will show on the desktop as two separate CDs.

OS X definitely has some catching up to do with Windows when it comes to writing media.

Regards.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    To Kevriano:

You can not multi-session write to a DVD or DVD+RW in OS X either with Disk Utility or third party software. Definitely a disappointment to folks who are switchers from Windows.

You can with a CDR or CDRW but even at that, it sometimes does not work. I have had "Burn" overwrite the TOC on several CD multi-session burns effectively destroying the entire contents. "BurnX Free" does a better job but the result is awkward. If you burn two sessions and mount the CD, it will show on the desktop as two separate CDs.

OS X definitely has some catching up to do with Windows when it comes to writing media.

Regards.
    Really! I admit I haven't tried on a DVD RW, but never had an issue with CD Rw's.
    I will play around with Toast to see if it can do what's required.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    I don't have any experience with Toast, although I have used Roxio products in Windows and generally like them. See if Toast will multi-session write to a CDR and how it arranges the sessions. I know that it will work OK on a CDRW.

"Burn" will sometimes overwrite the TOC on the second session of a CDR or CDRW which of course destroys the contents. "BurnX Free" does a better job (at least I haven't had any problems with it) but as I stated the disk will mount on the desktop the number of times according to the number of sessions.

And, unfortunately DVD, DVDRW multi-session writing is not currently supported in OS X. Perhaps with Snow Leopard? Would be nice.

Regards.

Specs:
    Ok, after much messing around with Toast, both on my G4 Powerbook and Intel iMac, I can confirm what chscaq said. It's not possible to multi write sessions. Silly and kind of defeats the idea of RW discs to an extent. But there's the answer - NO!

Thread Information