New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBookPro Start Up Sound

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tarheel

tarheel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only

Hey, talk about a basic/dumb question - here goes one - when I power up my MacBookPro (one year old) it makes that distinctive loud noise. How do I turn that off? Thx!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

If you mute the volume before shutting down, you won't hear the startup chime.

Best just not to shut it down at all, though, so you won't have to turn it on.
QUOTE Thanks
tarheel

Mac Specs: iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only

Thanks for the reply but I would like to know if there is a "setting" that I can utilize to stop the MBP start up sound from being heard without resorting to muting my MBP each time I shut it down.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I'm with technologist. No need to ever shut it down, just let it sleep. If you absolutely have to shut it down, the "setting" you use is Mute.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

You probably wouldn't want to turn it off. If you hear that chime, then you know all your components are working correctly, I would just keep it at a low volume. Trust me, you'll get used to it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel View Post
Thanks for the reply but I would like to know if there is a "setting" that I can utilize to stop the MBP start up sound from being heard without resorting to muting my MBP each time I shut it down.
Yes there is. You can download the free "Arcana Research Startup Control Panel" from here. It will adjust the startup chime from full on to full off - your choice of loudness. Works great, I've been using it for over a year.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
tarheel

Thanks to all for replying to my question but especially to Chscag for providing the solution to my problem. I downloaded the Arcana Research Startup Control Panel and it works great! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You're welcome. Have fun.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best Backup Online | ??s »